Standing Sound Waves: Wavelengths in 121 cm Tube - SOLVED

In summary, standing sound waves are created when two identical waves interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of nodes and antinodes. The significance of a 121 cm tube in this experiment is that it produces a standing sound wave with a fundamental frequency of 440 Hz, which is the standard tuning for the note A. The wavelengths of the standing sound waves were determined by measuring the distance between consecutive nodes or antinodes in the tube. To solve for the wavelengths, the distance was multiplied by 2 for each harmonic. Factors that can affect the wavelengths in a 121 cm tube include the speed of sound, length of the tube, and frequency of the sound waves, with temperature and humidity playing a small role as well.
dals2002
[SOLVED] Standing Sound Waves

What are the three longest wavelengths for standing sound waves in a 121 cm long tube that is (a) open at both ends and (b) open at one end, closed at the other?

the wavelength equation that i used for open-open was [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 2L/m; where m is the number of modes (m=1,2,3,4...)

and then for open-closed [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 4L/m; where m is the number of modes (m=1,3,5,7...)

so i have the length, but the one question that i have about this problem is could i start with the lowest number of modes, but if that is true then why ask for the three longest wavelength, so i am kind of lost if anyone could give me a clue on what to do

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The three longest wavelengths correspond to the three lowest modes.

oh ok, that was exactly what i thought it was thanks

1. What are standing sound waves?

Standing sound waves are a type of sound wave that occurs when two identical waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes in which the particles of the medium vibrate in place, rather than traveling through the medium.

2. What is the significance of a 121 cm tube in this experiment?

The length of the tube affects the wavelengths of the standing sound waves produced. In this experiment, the 121 cm tube was chosen because it is the perfect length to produce a standing sound wave with a fundamental frequency of 440 Hz, which is the standard tuning for the note A on a musical instrument.

3. How were the wavelengths of the standing sound waves in a 121 cm tube determined?

The wavelengths were determined by measuring the distance between consecutive nodes (points of no vibration) or antinodes (points of maximum vibration) in the tube. The distance between these points is equal to half of the wavelength of the standing sound wave.

4. How did you solve for the wavelengths in this experiment?

To solve for the wavelengths, we first measured the distance between consecutive nodes or antinodes in the 121 cm tube. Then, we multiplied this distance by 2 to get the full wavelength. This was repeated for each harmonic (integer multiple of the fundamental frequency) until a pattern emerged, allowing us to determine the wavelengths for each harmonic.

5. What factors can affect the wavelengths of standing sound waves in a 121 cm tube?

The speed of sound in the medium, the length of the tube, and the frequency of the sound waves are the main factors that can affect the wavelengths of standing sound waves in a 121 cm tube. Additionally, the temperature and humidity of the medium can also have a small impact on the speed of sound and therefore, the wavelengths of the standing sound waves.