Fluid mechanics - convective acceleration

In summary, The question is to find the convective acceleration halfway along a 3m converging duct with a linear convergence, inlet diameter of 0.46m, outlet diameter of 0.15m, and a constant volume flow rate of 0.3m^3/s. The conversation discusses different approaches to finding the convective acceleration, including using the equation v(dv/ds) = u2((u2-u1)/s2-s1)) and solving for dv/dx at the midpoint of the duct. The duct has a circular cross section.
stuey777
Hey guys,

I've been at this question for a while so I thought someone might be able to help me.

A 3m converging duct converges linearly, the inlet and outlet diameter's are 0.46m and 0.15m respectively. Also the volume flow rate (Q) is constant at all points in the duct and its value is 0.3m^3/s. Steady flow.
The question is to find the convective acceleration halfway along the duct.

It would be great if someone could get me on the right track. This should be an easy question.

Thanks, Stuart

Physics news on Phys.org
I know convective acceleration is v(dv/ds):

Q=u1*A1=u2*A2

Therefore u1=Q/A1 and u2=Q/A2, however I'm not sure if that's the correct way to find out velcities considering they both use Q.
In other texts for example u2=u1(A1/A2), but as for as i can see this is useless because not enough knowns are known.

Also I assume A1 should be in regards to 0.46m diamater and A2 should be halfway along the converging duct.

Therefore convective acceleration: v(dv/ds) = u2((u2-u1)/s2-s1)). But I compute this values and don't seem to get the correct answer at all.

hi Stuey, is this duct having circular cross section or a rectangular cross section? the breath of the duct seems important. Then you should be able to find (v*dv/dx)@mid by finding dv/dx@mid, since v@mid is known.

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dx}=A\frac{dv}{dx}+v\frac{dA}{dx}=0[/tex]

where A stand for the area. try to solve for the value of dv/dx at mid point.
hope this help. :smile:

Yes it's a circular cross section

1. What is convective acceleration in fluid mechanics?

Convective acceleration is the change in velocity of a fluid particle as it moves through a flow field. It is caused by the difference in velocity between the fluid particle and its surrounding fluid, which creates a pressure gradient that accelerates the particle.

2. How is convective acceleration related to fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, convective acceleration is one of the fundamental components of the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. It is often used to analyze the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and thermodynamics.

3. What factors affect convective acceleration in a fluid?

The strength of convective acceleration depends on various factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the size and shape of the fluid particles. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or changes in the flow field can also affect convective acceleration.

4. How does convective acceleration impact fluid flow patterns?

Convective acceleration is a crucial factor in determining the flow patterns of fluids. It can cause changes in velocity and pressure, which can result in the formation of vortices, eddies, and other complex flow structures. In some cases, convective acceleration can also cause instabilities and turbulence in the fluid flow.

5. Can convective acceleration be utilized for practical applications?

Convective acceleration plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in the design of aircraft wings, pipes, and pumps. By understanding and controlling convective acceleration, engineers can optimize the performance and efficiency of various systems that involve fluid flow. Additionally, convective acceleration is also essential in meteorology and oceanography for predicting weather patterns and ocean currents.