Can You Pursue a Career in Marine Biology with a Physics Degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of working as a marine biologist with a physics degree and the suggestion to look into graduate programs at UCSB known for their marine biology programs. It also mentions various applications and research topics in the field, such as physical oceanography, biophysics, and studying marine life and their behaviors. The conversation also suggests a strong background in physics and applied mathematics for these fields and suggests considering other options such as biophysics or physical oceanography.
CloudDreamer7
As the title states does anyone know if you can actually work as a marine biologist with a physics degree ? Or if there's some Masters degree that allows you to ?

I am in my 2nd year of a Physics degree by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess Physical Oceanography might be a better fit...but that's just my opinion.

start looking into schools known for their marine bio programs. I'm sorry I can't help too much but UCSB comes to mind as having a top marine bio program.

They have graduate programs in physics, marine science, molecular bio, EE, ME, CE, Math... as well as Materials. In fact on their research page there was a phd study for materials in marine science.
Seems to me like you could fine tune some studies there to encompass both physics and marine studies.

http://www.marinegp.ucsb.edu/

The more I looked through it the more it seems like a BS in physics could translate just fine to their MS in marine science. Lisab mentioned doing physical oceanography, one fo the four core classes taken for the MS in marine science at UCSB is intro to physical oceanography

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one friend who is doing graduate work in oceanography after doing a BSc in physics.

I knew another individual in biophysics who studied... hagfish slime. Hagfish are primitive jawless fish about the length of your arm. One of their defense mechanisms is to produce like 1m^3 of slime which gels and thwarts predators. The question my friend studied was how does such a little fish produce several times it's body volume in goo? It was a fun project. We went out to the coast and baited traps with dead animal parts. Then we had to haul a giant bucket of writhing hagfish in a bus on a gravel road for 4 hours!

There's lots of applications- physics of swimming is a good one. Sharks have some sort of piezeoelectric jelly material in their snouts which they can use for hunting, IIRC. Signal transduction (of the piezo material, but also vision and auditory systems) is another good application. Research on simple things like how claws generate sufficient force to operate is going on.

Then there's larger-scale stuff: migration, flocking, fluid dynamics of ocean currents, the CO2 cycle, food chain issues... research into any of that would benefit from having a grounding in physics (specifically, how to model things with mathematics).

oedipa maas said:
I have one friend who is doing graduate work in oceanography after doing a BSc in physics.

Yup! Physics is the preferred background for doing physical oceanography. You can also transition pretty easily into geological oceanography or marine geophysics and other related fields. If the OP is talking specifically about the field "marine biology" that might be a tough sell, because that is basically biology of marine life, which does not have much to do with physics. If you want to do biology in grad school, study it now!

Andy Resnick said:
Then there's larger-scale stuff: migration, flocking, fluid dynamics of ocean currents, the CO2 cycle, food chain issues... research into any of that would benefit from having a grounding in physics (specifically, how to model things with mathematics).

There is a lot of extremely interesting complex systems work that is being done. Some of this falls under oceanography (physical or biological) while other research is done within atmospheric sciences. Certainly, all of it will benefit from a background heavy in the physics and applied mathematics (lots of DEs).

thanks guys i appreciate all the help and suggestions given.

no , marine biology isn't a must i.e. i' m open to other suggestions. Oceanography sounds good with many applications but i would like to get involved in living organisms more directly.

Having said that, i find very interesting posts 5 and 6 in the options they suggest.

again thank you all for the time you spent to help me out.

Try biophysics

What is "Physics with Marine Biology"?

"Physics with Marine Biology" is a specialized field of study that combines the principles and theories of physics with the study of marine organisms and ecosystems. It involves applying physics concepts to understand and analyze marine life and their environments.

What are the applications of "Physics with Marine Biology"?

"Physics with Marine Biology" has a wide range of applications, including understanding the movement and behavior of marine animals, studying the impact of environmental factors on marine life, and developing technologies for ocean exploration and conservation. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as marine engineering, oceanography, and fisheries science.

What are some examples of physics principles used in "Physics with Marine Biology"?

Some examples of physics principles used in "Physics with Marine Biology" include fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, optics, electromagnetism, and acoustics. These principles are applied to study phenomena such as water flow, buoyancy, heat transfer, light transmission, and sound production in marine organisms.

What are the career opportunities in "Physics with Marine Biology"?

Graduates with a degree in "Physics with Marine Biology" can pursue various career paths, including marine research and conservation, environmental consulting, marine engineering and technology, and teaching. They can also work in government agencies, non-profit organizations, and private companies that focus on marine science and conservation.

Is "Physics with Marine Biology" a challenging field of study?

Yes, "Physics with Marine Biology" can be a challenging field of study as it requires a strong foundation in both physics and biology. Students will need to have a good understanding of concepts in mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, as well as a knowledge of marine biology, including ecology, physiology, and taxonomy. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling field of study.