Dual Major EET & CET: To Stay or Not?

• Thread starter Student11
  • Start date
In summary, the technology program is different from the BS EE and CE degrees. The degree may not be as valuable as the other degree, but the opportunities are still there. The technology program is a four year accredited program that goes up to calculus II with applications and linear algebra. The program has a high GPA and the student is taking an 18 credit load per semester plus addition summer courses. The problem is that the student is severely depressed and is considering transferring to another university. The student asks a few questions about the opportunities and the job prospects. The advice is to talk to a trusted professor or academic advisor, look into the degrees that may transfer, and talk to engineers in the field.
Student11
Hello everyone, I am currently doing a dual major in both EET and CET. The program is a four year accredited program that goes up to calculus II with applications and linear algebra. I have a high GPA and I am taking an 18 credit load per semester, plus addition summer courses. Now, here is the problem, which I am severely depressed over (so please be gentle in your response =/). I keep hearing about how the technology program is different from the BS EE and CE degrees. I have a chance to enroll into another university, but that may mean starting all over, and all the hard work that I put into this school would pretty much be for nothing. So, I need you to answer a few questions, if you may kindly do so...

1. Do I still have somewhat the same opportunities with this degree, what are the job prospects compared to the other degree.

2. If I get a good job and build experience would that be more valuable than someone with a more favorable degree (I already know the answer, but I need some further elaboration on this issue).

3. What would you do in my situation? Every professor I have is extremely nice and supportive, but this may also be the case with the other university.

I am taking calculus II (the non-application based calculus over the summer and plan to take calculus III). If you can provide any additional advice or guidance I could really use some before making my final decision. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer your questions for you because I really don't know that field. But, one thing I'll point out is that even if you do wind up having to start over, all the previous hard work would NOT be for nothing. If you've learned the material well, even if you end up in a more rigorous course if you transfer, that background should make it easier to do your other courses...you can focus on just the harder concepts while everyone else is trying to learn it all...not necessarily a bad place to start out in new classes.

I'll second Moonbear. Any grades that you have worked hard for (whether good or bad) are not 'for nothing.' I wish I could go into detail about the similarities and differeneces between engineering tech degrees and engineering degrees but I cannot. But if I may suggest looking into seeing what credits would transfer if you did transfer you might find that you are not backtracking as far as you might think.

From what I hear, if you killing these classes in the tech degree, it may be worth your while to look into EE CE degree programs.

Talk to some engineers. Call around and see what kind of degrees get you what kind of jobs.

Either way, good luck!

To stay, or not to stay: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

I actually have a friend who earned an EET degree and she got employed right after graduating. She was doing internships throughout her academic career though. However, I don't think any major 100% guarantees you a job. But employers are usually more concerned about what you can do rather than what title is on your diploma. If you are really concerned about this I highly reccomend that you talk to a trusted professor or your academic advisor. Or, as has been said, talk to some engineers in the field.

I think I will stay. Getting a degree and getting a job are of the utmost importance. My college and my professors will most certainly help me get a job. So, I guess I'll just continue taking extra math courses. I thank you all for the wonderful responses, if anyone else has any other advice please let me know. Thanks again.

1. Is it worth it to pursue a dual major in EET and CET?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. Dual majoring in EET and CET can provide a well-rounded education in both electrical and computer engineering, which can be beneficial in a variety of industries.

2. What are the benefits of a dual major in EET and CET?

A dual major in EET and CET can provide a broad understanding of both electrical and computer engineering principles, allowing for a wider range of job opportunities. It can also demonstrate versatility and a strong background in both fields.

3. What are the challenges of pursuing a dual major in EET and CET?

Dual majoring in EET and CET can be challenging due to the workload and time commitment. It may also require taking extra courses and potentially delaying graduation. Additionally, the two fields may have different requirements and focus areas, making it more difficult to balance class schedules and course requirements.

4. How can I decide if a dual major in EET and CET is right for me?

Research the program requirements and course offerings for both majors to determine if they align with your interests and career goals. Talk to current students or graduates of the program to gain insights about the workload and overall experience. Consider consulting with a career advisor or academic advisor for guidance.

5. Can I still be successful with just one major in either EET or CET?

Yes, having a single major in either EET or CET can still lead to a successful career in the field. It's important to focus on the courses and opportunities that align with your interests and career goals. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships or co-op programs can also make you a competitive candidate in the job market.