Is Human Flight Possible?

I wonder what kind of records for human flight are on the books?In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of human flight, specifically flying like Superman without the aid of mechanical devices. Some suggest that it may be possible on other planets with different gravitational conditions, while others point out the limitations of the human body and laws of physics. One person also raises the question of how Superman shaves.
Well I see two methods to do this...

Study as a buddhist monk for 60 years inside an isolated cave until you master the power of "mind"

Or you could just stop eating so that you become so light weight that on a gusty windy day you just go outside and fly in the breeze.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called falling - gracefully - aka skydiving. Eventually, one employs a parachute - assuming one wishes to fall again sometime - in the future.

To 'fly' requires mechanical assistance.

Has anyone given any thought to having a condors wings graphed onto their back? I suppose they could geneticly alter them to be super strong right?

Astronuc said:
It's called falling - gracefully

It's called throwing yourself at the ground - and missing.

magpies said:
Has anyone given any thought to having a condors wings graphed onto their back? I suppose they could geneticly alter them to be super strong right?

And I guess grafting a condor's brain onto their own brain, to control the extra muscles?

And then there's the square-cube problem. A condor's big, but it's not that big...

According to Wiki, theymax out at ... 10kg. So a human, who might weigh 50kg, would need wings that are 5^2 (2.23x) larger in area or 5^3 (1.7x) times longer.

Last edited:
magpies said:

Wow, just wow.

Mr. E. said:
If human consciousness is held within a field, as it has been proposed, then the idea of consciously willing yourself off the ground could be conceptualized by manipulating your own field of consciousness.
I mean that's what makes sense to me.
Consider the possibility that this field could somehow slip through the air without the hindrance of friction, drag, or even gravity.
Forget aerodynamics.
Its like electricity. Only, instead of manipulating the flow of electrons through a solid medium like metal, it is the flow of consciousness through time and space.
I think human flight is possible if somehow we can concentrate brainwaves into a rhythmic pattern instead of the chaotic signals and electrical randomness of the unfocused mind. If somehow we could realize that the spaces between our destinations are simply different aspects of ourselves, we could be more convinced that we can move at all.
So really the question is, "Is it possible to convince oneself of his own imagination?"
Sure, you can convince yourself you can do anything. Reality is you'll go "splat"

Thread closed.