Generating EM Radiation: Natural and Artificial Methods Explained"

In summary, em radiation is generated when a charged particle, such as an electron, falls from a higher energy state to a lower one. This can be done by fluctuating charge, or by the electrons jumping back into inner shells after undergoing excitation.
Rainbow
What are the ways (both natural and artificial) in which em radiation is generated?

Here is one of the methods: We take a point charge (or more practically a charged sphere with uniform charge distribution) such that we can voluntarily fluctuate the amount of charge on it. We fluctuate the charge of the particle sinusoidally and hence fluctuate the electromagnetic field associated with it. We have by definition an electromagnetic wave.

Let us discuss some more ways. I would like to know all the natural ways and also the artificial techniques.

In particular, can somebody explain to me how actually is an em wave generated when an electron in an atom, falls from a higher energy state to a lower one? I mean, alright I understand that the electron, when it falls back, loses energy in the form of em wave, but what is the mechanism of its generation?

Science news on Phys.org
In what level in physics are you? Do you want a delicate argument from QED? For what purpose are you asking?

Apart from moving electrons (which can be done by fluctuating charge as the example that you gave), I believe the only other way is through the electrons jumping back into inner shells after undergoing excitation. These two methods are, I would say the basis of all forms of em production.

Some not so common ways:
Accelerating electrons produce em waves due to synchotron radiation which is essentially moving electrons.

A charged particle entering a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium gives arise to Cerenkov radiation, which results in a nice blue glow around nuclear reacters. (this one is caused by electrons falling from higher orbitals after excitation)

malawi_glenn said:
In what level in physics are you? Do you want a delicate argument from QED? For what purpose are you asking?

I am an undergraduate student. But I would like to have the most accurate answer no matter what level. Even if the explanation happens to go over my head initially, I'll try my best and understand it.

Thank you.

Tw15t3r said:
Apart from moving electrons (which can be done by fluctuating charge as the example that you gave), I believe the only other way is through the electrons jumping back into inner shells after undergoing excitation. These two methods are, I would say the basis of all forms of em production.

About the moving electrons that you mentioned- I think we need to specify that the motion be accelerated. Right? As, as far as I know, uniformly moving charge particles do not produce(or emit) em radiation, only the accelerated ones do.

Well, I would like to point out another thing in this situation. Tell me if I'm correct or wrong-- The em waves generated due to accelerating charges are not spherically symmetrical.

Secondly, just to remind you that I also asked for the explanation of the actual mechanism of the generation of em radiation during the transition of electron from a higher energy state to a lower one.(don't worry about the level of the explanation. I just want to have it. I'll see if I can understand it or not. If not, I'll keep it in mind until I have enough knowledge to come back to it).

Thank you and have a good time.

Yup, you are right about that point about accelerating charges. (even a circular motion counts)

I am not sure about the spherical assymetry of em waves from accelearting charges, but I should think it would be correct since the em waves produced from such a situation are symmatrical usually about one axis only.

As for the mechanism of the generation, I do not know it, so that's why i did not answer that question.

EDIT: I don't know if u trust Wiki, but here's an explanation to the mechanism using quantum field theory: Spontaneous emission -Wikipedia
read the part labled "Theory"

Last edited:

1. What is EM radiation and how is it generated?

Electromagnetic (EM) radiation is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It is generated by the acceleration of electrically charged particles, such as electrons. This can occur naturally, such as in the form of sunlight or radio waves from outer space, or artificially, through various man-made devices like radio antennas and X-ray machines.

2. What are some natural sources of EM radiation?

The most common natural source of EM radiation is the sun, which emits a wide range of wavelengths including visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet radiation. Other natural sources include lightning, radioactive materials, and stars and galaxies in outer space.

3. What are some artificial methods of generating EM radiation?

Some common artificial methods of generating EM radiation include electric current in a wire, electric sparks, and the use of electronic devices like radio transmitters, microwave ovens, and X-ray machines. Lasers and fluorescent lights also produce EM radiation.

4. How is EM radiation used in everyday life?

EM radiation is used in many essential ways in our daily lives. For example, radio waves are used for communication through television, radio, and cell phones. Infrared radiation is used in remote controls and thermal imaging cameras. Visible light is essential for vision, and ultraviolet light is used in medical treatments and sterilization processes.

5. Can exposure to EM radiation be harmful?

Yes, exposure to high levels of EM radiation can be harmful to living organisms. For example, overexposure to UV radiation from the sun can cause sunburn and increase the risk of skin cancer. Prolonged exposure to X-rays can damage cells and lead to health problems. However, not all forms of EM radiation are harmful, and low levels of exposure are generally safe.