What Path Does a Charge Take in an AC Solenoid?

in summary, the magnetic field will cause a particle to move in a circle if it is moving radially and parallel to the axis of the solenoid, but if the particle is moving along an orbital trajectory the centripetal force will also reverse direction.
boooster
Hi,

I was wondering about the path a charge placed in a solenoid that was flown through by alternating current would take. Would it move on a circularly?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
erm, well the magnetic field generated by a (cylindrical) solenoid is parallel to the axis of the cylinder the coils are wound around( and to a good approx uniform over the cylinder's cross section). If you reverse the current then the magnetic field will be in the opp direction, i.e. still parallel to axis but in other direction.

Magnetic fields interact with charged particles via the Lorentz Force law: F=q(v x B) (assuming no net electric fields present). Thus there is only a force on the particle if it moves perpendicular to the cylinder's axis (radially in cylindrical polar coords).

If a +ve particle initially moves radially outwards from the centre, and the current is such that the mag field inside the solenoid is to the right, the particle will experience a force that is again radially outward but at 90 degrees to the plane containing v and B. If the current was DC this would lead to the particle moving in a circle in the plane of the solenoid's cross section (I think as long as v isn't to great relative to field strength, otherwise it might leave the solenoid and be out of the mag field, hence it would fly off).

Now assuming the particle is moving along some orbital trajectory, reversing the field would mean the centripetal force also reverses direction so the particle begins moving on a *different orbital path* that touches the first.

I have attached a jpeg of what I think it would look like. To get the actual radius of curvature that the particle moves along you would have to use:

mv^2/r=qvB

=>r=qB/mv

and the portion of the circles orbit completed before "jumping onto another circular orbit" would depend on the AC frequency.

If particle was moving parallel to axis as well as radially, you'd probably end up with a kind of screwdriver motion, helix upon anti-helix, upon helix etc, that's my best guess anyway...

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 419

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The path of a charge placed in an AC solenoid would depend on the direction of the current flow and the strength of the magnetic field within the solenoid. If the current is flowing in one direction, the charge would experience a force in a direction perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field, causing it to move in a circular path. However, if the current is alternating, the direction of the force would also alternate, causing the charge to oscillate back and forth within the solenoid. The strength of the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the path of the charge, as a stronger field would result in a tighter and more circular path. I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

1. What is an AC solenoid?

An AC solenoid is an electromagnetic device that uses alternating current (AC) to generate a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core, which produces a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it.

2. How does a charge placed in an AC solenoid behave?

A charge placed in an AC solenoid will experience a force due to the changing magnetic field. The charge will move back and forth as the direction of the current in the solenoid changes, resulting in an oscillatory motion.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a charge in an AC solenoid?

The behavior of a charge in an AC solenoid is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency and amplitude of the AC current, and the mass and charge of the particle.

4. How is the direction of the force on a charge in an AC solenoid determined?

The direction of the force on a charge in an AC solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand point in the direction of the magnetic field and your thumb points in the direction of the current, the palm of your hand will face the direction of the force on the charge.

5. What are some practical applications of an AC solenoid?

AC solenoids are commonly used in devices such as relays, motors, and speakers. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in household appliances, such as refrigerators and washing machines.