Diesel combustion and gas laws

Also, I don't think you can use that formula for this problem. The formula you used is for an ideal gas, and diesel fuel is not an ideal gas. In summary, Denis is trying to understand the laws that govern a diesel motor, specifically the amount of BTUs used in the combustion stroke and the role of liquid diesel in the chamber volume. He has attempted to use the formula V1*P1/T1=V2*P2/T2, but it is not applicable in this scenario.
Denis46
Hi all, new guy here. I am trying to understand the laws that govern a diesel motor. I know it compresses air at about 17 to 1 to ignite the fuel and I think that fuel will expand the air in the chamber at about 5 times the volume consistently (from tdc to end of stroke). I am trying to figure how many BTUs is used to heat the combustion stroke. Also, is the volume of liquid diesel added to the air important to the volume of the chamber (apart from igniting and expanding the air). I have tried to understand this with V1*P1/T1=V2*P2/T2, including using Kelvin and Pa, but could not make the numbers work.

I hope I have phrased this properly.

This is the first of a few questions to come

Thanks in advance
Denis D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Denis,

Welcome to PF. The amount of BTU's released would be equal to the specific heat of combustion of the diesel fuel times the amount of fuel, but I don't know what either of those two numbers are.

Hello Denis,

First of all, welcome to the scientific community! It's great to see someone taking an interest in understanding the laws behind diesel combustion.

To address your first question, the amount of BTUs (British Thermal Units) used to heat the combustion stroke in a diesel engine can vary depending on several factors such as the fuel-to-air ratio, engine speed, and load. However, on average, a diesel engine converts about 30% of the fuel's energy into mechanical work, while the remaining 70% is lost as heat. This means that the amount of BTUs used for the combustion stroke would be around 30% of the total energy released by the fuel.

Regarding your second question, the volume of liquid diesel added to the air does not significantly affect the volume of the chamber in a diesel engine. This is because diesel fuel is injected into the air just before combustion, and the volume of the fuel is relatively small compared to the volume of the air in the chamber. Therefore, the volume of the chamber is primarily determined by the amount of air compressed during the compression stroke.

Now, let's talk about the gas laws you mentioned. The equation you referred to, V1*P1/T1=V2*P2/T2, is known as the Ideal Gas Law, which describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. However, in the case of a diesel engine, the air-fuel mixture is not an ideal gas due to the presence of liquid fuel and the high compression ratios involved. Therefore, the ideal gas law may not accurately predict the behavior of the mixture in the chamber.

In conclusion, understanding the laws governing diesel combustion can be complex and may require more advanced equations and models. I would recommend consulting with experts in this field or conducting further research to gain a deeper understanding. I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best in your scientific journey!

1. What is diesel combustion and how does it work?

Diesel combustion is the process in which diesel fuel is burned inside an internal combustion engine to produce mechanical energy. This energy is used to power vehicles, generators, and other machinery. Diesel combustion works by injecting diesel fuel into the engine's combustion chamber, where it is compressed and ignited by the heat of the compressed air. This creates an explosion that pushes the piston and turns the engine's crankshaft.

2. What are the main components of a diesel combustion engine?

The main components of a diesel combustion engine include the fuel system, the air intake system, the combustion chamber, the piston, the crankshaft, and the exhaust system. The fuel system is responsible for delivering diesel fuel to the engine, while the air intake system supplies air for the combustion process. The combustion chamber is where the fuel and air mix and ignite, creating the power that moves the piston and turns the crankshaft. The exhaust system removes the byproducts of combustion from the engine.

3. What are the gas laws and how do they relate to diesel combustion?

The gas laws, specifically Boyle's Law and Charles's Law, describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of gases. In a diesel combustion engine, these laws apply to the compression of air in the combustion chamber. As the piston compresses the air, its volume decreases and its pressure and temperature increase. This process helps to ignite the fuel and create a more powerful explosion, resulting in more efficient and powerful diesel combustion.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of diesel combustion?

The efficiency of diesel combustion can be affected by a variety of factors, including the quality and type of fuel used, the design and condition of the engine, and the operating conditions of the engine. Other factors such as the temperature and density of the air, the compression ratio of the engine, and the injection timing can also impact the efficiency of diesel combustion.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of diesel combustion compared to gasoline combustion?

One of the main advantages of diesel combustion is its higher efficiency, which means more power can be produced with less fuel. Diesel engines also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to gasoline engines. However, diesel fuel tends to be more expensive than gasoline and can emit more pollutants. Diesel engines also tend to be louder and produce more vibrations, which may be considered a disadvantage in some applications.