PDE in two dependent variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of dealing with dependent functions in partial differential equations, particularly in regards to using the method of separation of variables. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using the Maple PDE solver to solve the problem. Another person in the conversation expresses having a similar problem and asks for help.
jdstokes
That's right, I said dependent. Does anyone have any experience dealing with such beasts. I haven't been able to find a single mention of them in any textbook on PDEs.

The thing I'm really curious to know is whether the method of separation of variables works as usual, e.g. if the dep vars are f and g, can I legitamately write

[itex]f = h(x)\varphi(y)[/itex]
[itex]g = f(x)\psi(y)[/itex]

you may assume of course that the PDE has been linearized.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those beasts are quite hard, unless you get lucky, because each beast can be viewed as PDE for one of the functions say f, with unspecified coefficients given by the other function g. This is not a single PDE but a whole family, each member given by different allowed choices of g. Since different choices of g can alter the behavior of the equation drastically, in the general case one can't expect to find the general solution: f in terms of g. You can always try separation of variables in any problem but there is no guarantee it will work. Better try the Maple PDE solver, pdsolve( ).

Hey!
I have the same kind of problem...I have a PDE in two dependent and two independent variables. Were you able to solve your problem?If so, can you please help me how to solve.
Thanks.

1. What is a PDE in two dependent variables?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) in two dependent variables is a mathematical equation that involves two unknown functions of several independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes the relationship between these variables and their rates of change.

2. What are some examples of PDEs in two dependent variables?

Examples of PDEs in two dependent variables include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model various physical phenomena.

3. What is the difference between PDEs in one dependent variable and two dependent variables?

The main difference between PDEs in one dependent variable and two dependent variables is the number of unknown functions and independent variables involved. PDEs in two dependent variables are more complex and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve compared to PDEs in one dependent variable.

4. How are PDEs in two dependent variables solved?

Solving PDEs in two dependent variables involves finding a solution that satisfies the given equation and any boundary or initial conditions. This can be done analytically using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or numerically using computer algorithms.

5. What are some applications of PDEs in two dependent variables?

PDEs in two dependent variables have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They can be used to model heat transfer, wave propagation, fluid dynamics, and other physical phenomena. They also play a crucial role in fields such as image processing, financial mathematics, and data analysis.