Solving Extinction and Reddening in Photometric Analysis of M5 Globular Cluster

• Thread starter taylrl2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extinction
In summary, the conversation revolved around a photometric analysis of globular cluster M5 and the issue of extinction and reddening affecting the accuracy of the data. The participant sought advice on how to calculate E(B-V) and another participant suggested using the NASA Extragalactic Database (NED) for extinction values specific to M5. This solution was found to be helpful and the participant expressed gratitude for the assistance.
taylrl2
I am currently writing up a photometric analysis of globular cluster M5 which I am doing from a set of images i have taken in the B,V and R bands. The CMD i have produced is obviously too red and faint due to the effects of extinction and reddening. As I am trying to calculate a distance using the luminosity of the tip of the RGB this effect is quite crucial. I know its E(B-V) that i need to calculate but i can't for the life of me think how to do it, any ideas? Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It sounds like an instrument problem to me. Have you taken another set of images?

The NASA Extragalactic Database (NED) gives extinction values in the direction of objects. For M5, scroll down the page http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-...v_breaker=30000.0&list_limit=5&img_stamp=YES" and you'll find the extinction values for a number of passbands. Please read the notes and accompanying papers to ensure the numbers are appropriate for what you're trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the NED looks like its got just what I need. Brilliant now I can get this typed up. Thanks once again uve made my week!

1. What is the purpose of studying extinction and reddening in photometric analysis of M5 globular cluster?

The main purpose of studying extinction and reddening in this context is to correct for the effects of interstellar dust and gas that can obscure the true colors and brightness of stars in the M5 globular cluster. This is important for accurately determining the properties and characteristics of the cluster, such as its age, composition, and distance from Earth.

2. How is extinction and reddening measured in photometric analysis?

Extinction is typically measured by comparing the observed magnitudes of stars in different filters to their expected magnitudes based on their spectral type. This allows us to determine how much light is being absorbed by dust and gas between the stars and Earth. Reddening is measured by comparing the colors of stars in different filters, as the presence of dust and gas can cause stars to appear redder than they actually are.

3. What techniques are used to correct for extinction and reddening in photometric analysis of M5 globular cluster?

One common technique is to use a standard extinction law, which describes how the brightness and colors of stars are affected by the amount of dust and gas along the line of sight. This law can then be applied to the observed data to correct for the effects of extinction and reddening. Another technique is to compare the colors and magnitudes of stars in the M5 globular cluster to those of stars in a nearby field with little or no dust and gas, allowing for a more precise correction.

4. What challenges are faced when analyzing extinction and reddening in photometric data?

One major challenge is that the amount of extinction and reddening can vary across different parts of the M5 globular cluster. This can be due to differences in the distribution of dust and gas, as well as the varying distances of the stars from Earth. Additionally, different extinction laws may be needed for different parts of the cluster, making it more difficult to accurately correct for these effects.

5. How can the study of extinction and reddening in M5 globular cluster contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By accurately correcting for the effects of extinction and reddening, we can obtain more precise measurements of the properties of the M5 globular cluster, which can in turn provide insights into the formation and evolution of globular clusters and the larger structures of the universe. Additionally, studying these effects in different astronomical objects can help us better understand the distribution and composition of dust and gas in our own galaxy and beyond.