Polarization of Waves: Solutions & Explanations

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about EM-waves, their polarization, and the oscillation of the B-field. The question is broken down into three parts, with the first part discussing the convention of talking about the polarization of the E-field. The second part discusses the oscillation of the B-field and its relationship to the E-field. The third part involves calculations using the equation for E and determining the velocity of the wave in air. The summary confirms the answers for each part and wishes the reader a happy New Year.
Billy246
1. Info

Basically, I'm having trouble with this question and it's constituent parts.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6986/question8tn5.jpg

Homework Equations

No equations for first two parts, it's the visualising that I'm finding tricky.
Part 3 will require some sort of angular velocity equation, yet I'm still unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

Question part i) Answered (c) horizontally north-south. This seems the logical answer as it is perpendicular to the wave motion.

Question part ii) Shot in the dark would lead me to answer a.

Question part iii) Got lost in the calculation and cannot be sure of calculated answer. I guessed the answer to be answer c - 58 x 10^9

Any help would be greatly appreciated if any is given. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Billy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(i): When an EM-wave is said to be polarized, the convention is that you are talking about the polarization of the E-field. So in this question, we are told that a plane EM-wave is moving towards right, and the plane of polarization is vertical. So I would say (a).

(ii): The B-field always oscillates in such a way to be orthogonal to the E-field. From (i) I would say (c).

(iii): From the equation for E you see that the magnitude of the wave number k is 260 m^{-1}. Since the wave is traveling in air, we will say the velocity is c. Then we have:

[tex]
k=\frac{\omega}{c} \Leftrightarrow \omega = kc.
[/tex]

Thus we get (d).

Have a happy New Year :smile:

Niles said:
(i): When an EM-wave is said to be polarized, the convention is that you are talking about the polarization of the E-field. So in this question, we are told that a plane EM-wave is moving towards right, and the plane of polarization is vertical. So I would say (a).

(ii): The B-field always oscillates in such a way to be orthogonal to the E-field. From (i) I would say (c).

(iii): From the equation for E you see that the magnitude of the wave number k is 260 m^{-1}. Since the wave is traveling in air, we will say the velocity is c. Then we have:

[tex]
k=\frac{\omega}{c} \Leftrightarrow \omega = kc.
[/tex]

Thus we get (d).

Have a happy New Year :smile:

Thank You Niles,

Much appreciated. Hope the New year treats you well!

Regards,
Billy

1. What is polarization of waves?

Polarization of waves refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave as it travels through space. It can be described as the direction in which the electric field oscillates.

2. How are waves polarized?

Waves can be polarized through various methods such as reflection, refraction, scattering, or by passing through certain materials. In these processes, the direction of the electric field is altered, resulting in a polarized wave.

3. What are the types of polarization of waves?

The types of polarization include linear, circular, and elliptical. In linear polarization, the electric field oscillates in a single direction. In circular polarization, the electric field rotates in a circular motion. In elliptical polarization, the electric field traces out an elliptical path.

4. What is the importance of polarization of waves?

Polarization of waves has many practical applications, such as in communication systems, where it helps to minimize interference and improve signal quality. It is also important in optics and imaging techniques, as well as in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different mediums.

5. Can light waves be polarized?

Yes, light waves can be polarized. In fact, all electromagnetic waves, including light, can be polarized. The polarization of light can be observed through polarization filters, which only allow light waves with a specific orientation to pass through.