Explanation of the mass and charge of the proton

In summary, Quantum mechanics proposes that the mass and charge of the proton can be explained through the use of particles with partial charges and guessed at mass. However, it ignores the mass and charge of the electron. While the proton is known to be a composite object, with experiments showing its composition through point charges, no such composition has been found for the electron.
LitleBang
How can quantum mechanics propose an explanation of the mass and charge of the proton using particles with partial charges and guessed at mass but ignore the mass and charge of the electron?

Physics news on Phys.org

What?

A strong interaction. Wow what a strong response. I am sure all the common people immediately grasped your intuitive answer.

LitleBang said:
A strong interaction. Wow what a strong response. I am sure all the common people immediately grasped your intuitive answer.

No "its a strong interaction" is my signature...

"what?" refers to that I have no idea what you are talking about "but ignore the mass and charge of the electron? "

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this has something to do with quarks...

Malawi I'm sorry.

Peng, your right. I was referring to the quarks that QM uses to explain the protons mass and charge but it has no particles to explain the electrons mass and charge. One would think that whatever explains the charge of a proton the exact opposite would explain the charge of an electron.

LitleBang said:
Malawi I'm sorry.

Peng, your right. I was referring to the quarks that QM uses to explain the protons mass and charge but it has no particles to explain the electrons mass and charge. One would think that whatever explains the charge of a proton the exact opposite would explain the charge of an electron.

No since we know that the proton is a composite object by performing scattering experiments (c.f. Rutherford scattering on atoms, we now found that the proton is build up by point charges)

So far, no experiment has shown any composition of the electron.

What is the mass of a proton?

The mass of a proton is approximately 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms. This is about 1,836 times the mass of an electron.

How is the mass of a proton determined?

The mass of a proton is determined through experiments and mathematical calculations. Scientists use a technique called mass spectrometry to measure the mass of particles, including protons.

What is the charge of a proton?

The charge of a proton is positive, with a magnitude of 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs. This is equal in magnitude to the charge of an electron but with the opposite sign.

Why does a proton have a positive charge?

A proton has a positive charge because it is made up of three smaller particles called quarks. Two of these quarks have a positive charge and one has a negative charge, resulting in an overall positive charge for the proton.

How do protons interact with other particles?

Protons interact with other particles through electromagnetic forces. Because they have a positive charge, they are attracted to particles with a negative charge, such as electrons. They also play a role in the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus of an atom together.