How many languages can you speak?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter 89ta
  • Start date
In summary: Example: "The convenience for a dog owner to be able to leave their pet at home while they go out." The first definition is that it is convenient for the dog owner, and the second is that it is convenient for the burglar.
FORTRAN &
Fortran

Science news on Phys.org
English, French, and Spanish.

And,
For the record,
Spanish is so much easier than French! Anybody disagree?

Likes Niflheim
I know I've answered this question before...

Ah ha!

OmCheeto said:
Yay! Another compliment. :smile:

I've lost count of the languages I speak. Let me try and remember them all:
English, German, Russian, Serbian, Armenian, French, Spanish, Dutch, Hindi, Telugu, Geordie, Farsi, Arabic, Finnish, Romanian, Hungarian, Greek, Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Ibo(but not very well), and Polish.

Ya znaio schto, you nyiechevo nie znaio.

My Armenian friend says that the fact that I can quote Socrates in Russian, is a very good thing.

I'm feeling so cultured today. :smile:
-------------------------

And I've started studying Sumerian as of late.

ni nu zu u la!

Two... English and Anglo-Romani

OmCheeto said:
I know I've answered this question before...

Ah ha!
And I've started studying Sumerian as of late.

ni nu zu u la!

bahkat'u!

I speak and write both Spanish and English fluently but am far more adept at English.

French is my first language. I also do speak english but I would not dare calling myself "fluent".

rustynail said:
French is my first language. I also do speak english but I would not dare calling myself "fluent".

I understand. The mistake you made is "...I would not dare calling myself fluent" It should be:"...would not dare be calling myself fluent". French does not have the progressive aspect, and I know learning how to use it can be frustrating. This is actually a progressive aspect in the subjunctive mood requiring 'be'. You could also avoid the progressive by simply saying "...I would not dare to call myself fluent."

Je comprends. La faute que vous avez faite est : "I would not dare calling myself fluent"; au lieu de "...would not dare be calling..."
Le français n'a pas d'aspect progressif. C'est l'aspect progressif dans le subjonctif. Je sais que l'apprentissage à l'utiliser peut être frustrant.

Vous pourriez aussi éviter l'aspect progressif en disant "...I would not dare to call myself..."

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
bahkat'u!

gesundheit.

:smile:

OmCheeto said:
gesundheit.

:smile:

Thank you, but my reply was not a sneeze. It was perfect proto-pseudo-Sumerian!

Last edited:
I wonder if this works on PF:

俺は日本語ができるけど、あまり得意でない。

エディット:うまくいった!すげええ!

SW VandeCarr said:
I understand. The mistake you made is "...I would not dare calling myself fluent" It should be:"...would not dare be calling myself fluent". French does not have the progressive aspect, and I know learning how to use it can be frustrating. This is actually a progressive aspect in the subjunctive mood requiring 'be'. You could also avoid the progressive by simply saying "...I would not dare to call myself fluent."

Je comprends. La faute que vous avez faite est : "I would not dare calling myself fluent"; au lieu de "...would not dare be calling..."
Le français n'a pas d'aspect progressif. C'est l'aspect progressif dans le subjonctif. Je sais que l'apprentissage à l'utiliser peut être frustrant.

Vous pourriez aussi éviter l'aspect progressif en disant "...I would not dare to call myself..."

Merci, vos conseils me sont utiles!

I can speak 2 languages fluently, Serbian (native lang) and English.. I am also learning German and Latin (what for i don't know but i just do).. And I'm just 18 so i hope i'll be able to expand that list with a few more languages :)

Ok then.

Scratch Korean, and add Cherokee.

Gi Ah Ni Wa!

Woo Hoo! (<-- that's american...)

hmmm...

looks kind of Sumerian to me.

I hope it doesn't mean; "I eat worms."

:grumpy:

OmCheeto said:
Ok then.

Scratch Korean, and add Cherokee.

Gi Ah Ni Wa!

Woo Hoo! (<-- that's american...)

hmmm...

looks kind of Sumerian to me.

I hope it doesn't mean; "I eat worms."

:grumpy:

Could you learn Apache, in honor of my great-grandmother :smile:?

languages I speak: chinese, english, small amount of spanish, c++, python.

lisab said:
Could you learn Apache, in honor of my great-grandmother :smile:?

I don't think so.

My short term memory is so short, I already forgot what language you asked me to learn.

:cry:

English and Spanish. The two essential languages where I live.

Lisa -

Apache is in the Athapascan group of Languages: Tlingit, Navajo. I can stumble through some Navajo and understand some Jicarilla Apache. Never heard spoken Chiricahua, but I was told they call the language and themselves: "Ndeh". Navajos use "Dine", Tlingit use "Tinne" - at least that's how us Bilagaanas spell it.

Which Apache group was your grandmother? The answer is: where was she born - White River, Dulce, where?
Dayton, Ohio won't work for an answer...

This cross-liguistic feat is because these languages all apparently "broke off" from a common ancestor language recently. So there are lots of similarities between Apache dialects and Navajo. Not because I have any linguistic skills. Whatsoever. When I was failing to learn Navajo, Irvy Goosen used to help me.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fi...h=n:283155,p_27:Irvy Goosen&tag=pfamazon01-20

My wife ran a sort of Trading Post/Store. Every time I went there the Navajo speakers who knew me tried to get me to speak Navajo. They usually ended up convulsed with laughter. Seems I have a career waiting: A Navlish-speaker-comedian.

Anyway, Goosen explained that South Western Athapascan speakers shared a really high number of cognates and nearly identical language structures. Told me, he went North, and could converse with Tlingit speakers fairly well, too.

A large percentage Navajo/Apache "nouns" amount to sentences. Kind of like phrases in English - an absolute literal translation of "duck" would be "it floats on the water". Snake == "it slithers"; mice == "they scrabble at night".

So when you say something in English and it takes xxxx long, if you translate to Apache it becomes xxxxxxxxx long.

jim mcnamara said:
Lisa -

Apache is in the Athapascan group of Languages: Tlingit, Navajo. I can stumble through some Navajo and understand some Jicarilla Apache. Never heard spoken Chiricahua, but I was told they call the language and themselves: "Ndeh". Navajos use "Dine", Tlingit use "Tinne" - at least that's how us Bilagaanas spell it.

Which Apache group was your grandmother? The answer is: where was she born - White River, Dulce, where?
Dayton, Ohio won't work for an answer...

This cross-liguistic feat is because these languages all apparently "broke off" from a common ancestor language recently. So there are lots of similarities between Apache dialects and Navajo. Not because I have any linguistic skills. Whatsoever. When I was failing to learn Navajo, Irvy Goosen used to help me.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fi...h=n:283155,p_27:Irvy Goosen&tag=pfamazon01-20

My wife ran a sort of Trading Post/Store. Every time I went there the Navajo speakers who knew me tried to get me to speak Navajo. They usually ended up convulsed with laughter. Seems I have a career waiting: A Navlish-speaker-comedian.

Anyway, Goosen explained that South Western Athapascan speakers shared a really high number of cognates and nearly identical language structures. Told me, he went North, and could converse with Tlingit speakers fairly well, too.

A large percentage Navajo/Apache "nouns" amount to sentences. Kind of like phrases in English - an absolute literal translation of "duck" would be "it floats on the water". Snake == "it slithers"; mice == "they scrabble at night".

So when you say something in English and it takes xxxx long, if you translate to Apache it becomes xxxxxxxxx long.

I'm not sure but I think my great-grandma was born in or near Fort Sill. Is your wife Apache or Navajo?

I was told Apaches call themselves N'De (or something like that) which translates to something like, "Us Folk" :smile:. Sounds very similar to Ndeh!

English is my native language, but I can speak Mandarin Chinese as a second language as well as read hanzi, though I'm a bit rusty.EDIT: Oh yeah, I also learned a little bit of German in high school a long time ago, but I forgot almost all of it. Not sure if that counts.

English and also Russian but not as well as English.

I can only fluently speak in one language (English) but I am essentially fluent in reading French (though sometimes I require a dictionary for in depth material)and my own conlang. I also know a little bit of spanish and can also read (and communicate with some trouble) to a pretty good degree in Latin.

That'd be two and a half. Haha. No but
1. Swedish - Fluent
2. English - Conversational to almost advanced
3. French - Just a few sentences. I read it for a rather long time in school but eventually gave up. Most likely due to the lacking of the language's availability in my everyday life.

I can speak 3: Chinese Mandarin, French and English.

English is my native language, but I can converse fairly competently in Spanish as well

I am a native English speaker but I don't even speak English well. So maybe like half a language?

E7.5 said:
I am a native English speaker but I don't even speak English well. So maybe like half a language?

:biggrin:

Sometimes I say, "Sorry, English is not my first language. But unfortunately it's the only language I know."

Haha! I like that lisab. :smile:

Portuguese (native), Spanish and English.

Native English, y un poco de español, und ein bißchen Deutsch.

je parle un Peu le Francais et je apprendrai Latin aussi

jbunniii said:
Native English, y un poco de español, und ein bißchen Deutsch.

I have never seen that kind of English :tongue:
Mine is Math 11234 124 355 46 324 ∏535 ψ24 ∞

Do you know what I mean? :yuck:

Anyway, I know 2 languages,my native language and English.

I speak English of course, but that's about it. I'd love to learn Greek and Old Norse, though, just for the hell of it. I'd like to live in Norway, so I should probably learn Norwegian at some point, but then again, I'm trying to become a Particle Physicist so maybe I should plan to learn French and head to Geneva instead... Oh, and I started learning Russian in middle school, but never got around to getting into it, and I feel obligated to finish that at some point.

So, to wrap up, out of the five or so languages I want to/probably should speak, I can actually only speak one. Success? Nope. :(

<h2>1. How many languages can you speak?</h2><p>As a scientist, I am trained in the use of scientific language and terminology. I am also proficient in English, which is the language of scientific communication. However, I may not be fluent in any other languages.</p><h2>2. Can you speak multiple languages?</h2><p>As a scientist, my focus is on conducting research and analyzing data rather than learning multiple languages. While I may have some knowledge of other languages, I may not be fluent in speaking them.</p><h2>3. Is being multilingual important for a scientist?</h2><p>Being multilingual can be beneficial for a scientist, especially if they are conducting research in a region where a different language is spoken. However, it is not a requirement for success in the field of science.</p><h2>4. Do you use different languages in your research?</h2><p>While I may have to use different languages to communicate with colleagues or participants in my research, the majority of my work is conducted in English. This is because English is the primary language used in scientific communication.</p><h2>5. How do you communicate with scientists from other countries?</h2><p>As a scientist, I communicate with colleagues from other countries through various means such as email, video conferencing, and international conferences. While language barriers may exist, we are able to effectively communicate using a combination of English and other languages as needed.</p>

1. How many languages can you speak?

As a scientist, I am trained in the use of scientific language and terminology. I am also proficient in English, which is the language of scientific communication. However, I may not be fluent in any other languages.

2. Can you speak multiple languages?

As a scientist, my focus is on conducting research and analyzing data rather than learning multiple languages. While I may have some knowledge of other languages, I may not be fluent in speaking them.

3. Is being multilingual important for a scientist?

Being multilingual can be beneficial for a scientist, especially if they are conducting research in a region where a different language is spoken. However, it is not a requirement for success in the field of science.

4. Do you use different languages in your research?

While I may have to use different languages to communicate with colleagues or participants in my research, the majority of my work is conducted in English. This is because English is the primary language used in scientific communication.

5. How do you communicate with scientists from other countries?

As a scientist, I communicate with colleagues from other countries through various means such as email, video conferencing, and international conferences. While language barriers may exist, we are able to effectively communicate using a combination of English and other languages as needed.