Shockwaves: Exploring Explosive Yield and Blast Radius

In summary, the conversation is about shockwaves and their effects on humans at different distances from a blast. The person is also looking for information on the explosive yield to blast radius and whether shockwaves can maintain their strength when passing through a vacuum. They clarify that they are interested in protection from shockwaves, not causing them. They are recommended to watch a lecture on the cause of shockwaves from MIT's OpenCourseWare website.
luckymarine
Hi could someone tell me a little more about shockwaves? I have looked everywhere but cannot find anywhere that shows explosive yield to blast radius and the dangers to human of being at different proximities to a blast. I know the closer you are to one the more likely you are to suffer internal injuries from the wave slamming into your body. Could really do with a chart or diagram displaying the various zones.

Also could someone tell me if a shockwave traveling through atmosphere can carry on at the same strength if it encounters a vaccum?

Just to put minds at rest I am interested in protection from shockwaves not causing one myself!

Thankyou in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Watch this lecture, it has some good explanation

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoAndCaptions/detail/embed10.htm

you can watch the whole set as well, to understand the cause of shockwaves

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoAndCaptions/index.htm

Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I would be happy to provide some more information about shockwaves and their effects. Shockwaves are a type of pressure wave that is created by an explosion or sudden release of energy. They travel through the air at extremely high speeds and can cause significant damage and destruction.

The explosive yield of a blast refers to the amount of energy released by the explosion. This can be measured in various units such as joules, tons of TNT, or kilotons/megatons. The blast radius, on the other hand, refers to the distance from the explosion where the shockwave can cause damage or injury. The size of the blast radius depends on the type of explosive, its yield, and the surrounding environment.

There are different zones of danger associated with a blast, which are commonly referred to as the "lethal," "critical," "serious," and "light" zones. The lethal zone is the closest to the explosion and is where fatalities are most likely to occur. In this zone, the shockwave is strong enough to cause severe internal injuries and even death. The critical zone is the next closest and is where serious injuries are likely to occur. In the serious zone, injuries are still possible but are less severe. The light zone is the furthest from the explosion and is where the shockwave is not strong enough to cause any significant harm.

As for the effect of shockwaves in a vacuum, they would not propagate the same way as they do in the atmosphere. In a vacuum, there is no medium for the shockwave to travel through, so it would dissipate quickly. However, if the explosion occurred in a contained space, the shockwave could still cause damage to the surrounding objects and structures.

I am glad to hear that you are interested in protection from shockwaves rather than causing them. Understanding the potential dangers and being prepared for them is important for staying safe in case of an explosion. I would recommend consulting with experts and following safety guidelines to ensure proper protection. I hope this information helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

What are shockwaves?

Shockwaves are rapid, high-energy waves that are produced by an explosion or sudden release of energy. They travel at supersonic speeds and can cause damage to surrounding objects and structures.

How are shockwaves created?

Shockwaves are created when a large amount of energy is suddenly released, such as in an explosion or a powerful blast. This energy causes a rapid expansion of gases, which creates a high-pressure wave that travels outward in all directions.

What is explosive yield?

Explosive yield is a measure of the amount of energy released by an explosion. It is typically measured in joules or kilotons (kt). The higher the explosive yield, the more powerful the explosion and the larger the shockwave it produces.

What is blast radius?

Blast radius is the area around an explosion where the blast wave is strong enough to cause significant damage. It is typically measured in feet or meters and can vary depending on the type and size of the explosion, as well as environmental factors such as terrain and atmospheric conditions.

How are shockwaves and explosive yield related?

Shockwaves and explosive yield are directly related, as the amount of explosive yield determines the strength and size of the shockwave produced. The higher the explosive yield, the larger the shockwave and the greater the potential for damage to surrounding areas.