Wiring a Series and Parellel Switch for 12v/48v

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of using 4 - 12 volt batteries in parallel and series to achieve 12 volts or 48 volts. The individual was looking for a series/parallel switch that would allow for easy switching between the two voltages. A sketch was provided showing that it would take 7 switches to achieve this and that they would need to switch at the same time. The individual also mentioned wanting a middle condition where the batteries would not be connected to avoid short circuiting, but this would complicate the diagram. In conclusion, it was determined that there is no easy way to achieve this with one switch and it would take up a significant amount of space.
jeremyr
OK.

I have 4 - 12 volt batteries.

In parallel is 48 volts and series is 12 volts.

I would like have a series/parallel switch for running in 12 volts or 48 volts.

Most important, I would like to have a diagram for just how to wire this up.

Jeremy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forum, but may I suggest you include polite "please" and "thanks" next time? Demanding posts don't get treated very well here.

I have attached a sketch of what you would need.

It would take 7 switches to achieve that. They would have to switch at the same time.

In series, the batteries would give 48 volts. In parallel they would give 12 volts.

Attachments

• 4 BATTERIES.JPG
    4 BATTERIES.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 622
vk6kro said:
Welcome to the Forum, but may I suggest you include polite "please" and "thanks" next time? Demanding posts don't get treated very well here.

I have attached a sketch of what you would need.

It would take 7 switches to achieve that. They would have to switch at the same time.

In series, the batteries would give 48 volts. In parallel they would give 12 volts.

I did not mean to sound demanding, being my first post and all. Thanks for your picture. It appears they are no convenient way to do this with one switch and also not take up much space.

THANKS

-J

Yes, it isn't an easy thing to do.

I would even like to include a middle condition where the batteries were not connected to anything for a brief period, but this would complicate the diagram even more.

This would be to avoid short circuiting any of the batteries while the switching was taking place.

1. How do I wire a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v?

To wire a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v, you will need to first identify the positive and negative terminals on your power source. Then, connect the positive terminal to the first switch terminal and the negative terminal to the other switch terminal. Next, connect the first switch terminal to the positive terminal of the next switch and continue this pattern until all switches are connected. Finally, connect the last switch terminal to the negative terminal of your power source. This will create a series circuit. To create a parallel circuit, simply connect the positive terminals of each switch together and the negative terminals together.

2. What is the purpose of wiring a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v?

The purpose of wiring a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v is to create a circuit that can handle higher voltages and provide more power. Series circuits increase the voltage, while parallel circuits increase the current, allowing for a more efficient use of electricity.

3. Can I use any type of switch for wiring a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v?

It is important to use switches that are rated for the voltage and amperage of your circuit. Make sure to check the specifications of your switches before wiring them in a series or parallel configuration for 12v/48v circuits.

4. What are the advantages of wiring a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v?

The main advantage of wiring a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v is the ability to handle higher voltages and provide more power. This can be useful in various applications, such as in automotive or solar power systems.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when wiring a series and parallel switch for 12v/48v?

Yes, it is important to always work with caution when dealing with electricity. Make sure to disconnect the power source before wiring the switches, and double check all connections before turning the power back on. It is also recommended to use a fuse or circuit breaker in the circuit to prevent overload and potential hazards.