What's the Average Temperature on Mt. Palomar?

In summary, when working at high altitudes, it is important to take into account air density and water vapor pressure in order to properly use the psychrometric chart. There are various resources available, such as manual calculations, charts, and software packages, to assist with this.
bigislander72
Sorry, no thermo reference handy to try and figure it out myself. It would be nice to know, in case our company does any work up on the mountain (on a new telescope project coming up).

Engineering news on Phys.org

Well, the psychrometric chart is generated from experimental data, but I'm sure you could determine gas-vapor properties for air at a different pressure using the fundamentals and your thermodynamics text. However I believe ASHRAE publishes charts for a variety of elevations and you can order one through them. My HVAC design prof mentioned having to get one for his work in our state of Colorado. Hope that helps some.

bigislander72 said:
Sorry, no thermo reference handy to try and figure it out myself. It would be nice to know, in case our company does any work up on the mountain (on a new telescope project coming up).

Air density and water vapor pressure play a primary role in the layout of the psychrometric chart, so when going up in altitude they must be accounted for. There are manual calculations available that enable you to calculate the values, or you can just look up a psychrometric chart at or near the altitude you're looking for.

For example, my work is at 7000ft above sea level. As such, I have used a psychrometric chart for that altitude in the past. Similar to this one: http://www.luhow.com/client/coolerado.com/CoolTools/Psychrmtrcs/7500PsychrmtrcLetter.pdf"

There are also several calculation software packages available that have psychrometric calulcation abilities, and I assume they can compensate for altitude changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

What's the Average Temperature on Mt. Palomar?

The average temperature on Mt. Palomar varies depending on the time of year and elevation. However, the average temperature at the summit is around 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit.

What factors influence the average temperature on Mt. Palomar?

The average temperature on Mt. Palomar is influenced by factors such as elevation, time of year, proximity to the coast, and wind patterns.

Is the average temperature on Mt. Palomar consistent year-round?

No, the average temperature on Mt. Palomar can vary significantly throughout the year. It is typically cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer, but temperatures can also fluctuate due to weather patterns and other factors.

How does the average temperature on Mt. Palomar compare to other mountains in the area?

The average temperature on Mt. Palomar is generally cooler than other nearby mountains due to its higher elevation and location closer to the coast.

What is the highest and lowest recorded temperature on Mt. Palomar?

The highest recorded temperature on Mt. Palomar is 108 degrees Fahrenheit, while the lowest recorded temperature is 15 degrees Fahrenheit.