Study EM Theory: No Classical Mechanics Required

In summary: The physics is much more important.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying Electromagnetic theory without prior knowledge of classical mechanics, specifically Lagrange and Hamiltonian mechanics. The topics covered in Electromagnetic theory include electrostatic and magnetostatic problems, boundary value problems, dielectrics and conductors, Biot-Savart's and Ampere's laws, Faraday's law, Maxwell's equations, and more. The conversation also delves into the importance of mathematics in understanding E&M, as well as the possibility of taking the course without a background in mechanics. Overall, it is determined that a strong mathematics background is necessary, but knowledge of Lagrange and Hamiltonian mechanics is not a prerequisite for studying Electromagnetic theory
Amar.alchemy
Studying EM Theory??

Hi All,

Is it possible to study Electromagnetic theory without knowing the concepts of classical mechanics. I have studied Newtonian mechanics but does not have any idea about Lagrange and Hamiltonian mechanics. I am concentrating on the below topics in Electromagnetic theory:

Solution of electrostatic and magnetostatic problems including boundary value problems; dielectrics and conductors; Biot-Savart’s and Ampere’s laws; Faraday’s law; Maxwell’s equations; scalar and vector potentials; Coulomb and Lorentz gauges; Electromagnetic waves and their reflection, refraction, interference, diffraction and polarization. Poynting vector, Poynting theorem, energy and momentum of electromagnetic waves; radiation from a moving charge.

Kindly help!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

You appear to be making a HUGE jump here. The topics you listed require a strong mathematics background, well beyond what your intro Newtonian mechanics class requires. You don't necessarily have to study mechanics first but the math is a must. What is your mathematics background like?

Generally you would start with intro electricity and magnetism. Single variable calculus should be sufficient for your first exposure to these topics.

I come from engineering background... so i have pretty good knowledge on Differential calculus, Integral calculus, vector calculus(like stoke's theorem), PDE... i think even if i miss some topics in mathematics i can fill the gap. However, my worry is some what related to "Physics part". Am i able to grasp the conceptual part of EM theory??(without knowing Lagrange and Hamiltonian mechanics??)

:confused:

Amar.alchemy said:
Solution of electrostatic and magnetostatic problems including boundary value problems; dielectrics and conductors; Biot-Savart’s and Ampere’s laws; Faraday’s law; Maxwell’s equations; scalar and vector potentials; Coulomb and Lorentz gauges; Electromagnetic waves and their reflection, refraction, interference, diffraction and polarization. Poynting vector, Poynting theorem, energy and momentum of electromagnetic waves; radiation from a moving charge.

This list, it looks like a list of topics to be covered in a course, taken out of a catalog of some type. Is this right? Are you trying to find out if you can take this course, even though it lists as a pre-requisite upper-level mechanics? My feeling here is that you saw that, looked through the list of topics on that course, and saw the two things you didn't know about, and asked.

If so, my answer would be, ask the professor. E&M courses can vary wildly in difficulty depending on the level. If you're looking to jump in at the top, and you don't have a physics background, well, that's going to be tough.

Amar.alchemy said:

It is very unlikely that you will need to know anything about Hamiltonians etc in order to study any of the topics in that list.
The Hamiltonian/Lagrangian formulation is not used nearly as much as most people seem to think. It is mainly -not surprisingly- used in mechanics and advanced quantum mechanics (you don't really need to have any "deep" knowledge of analytical mechanics in order to understand basic quantum mechanics, you need to know what H represents and that is about it, the rest is linear algebra).
I suspect most mechanical engineers know more about the topic than your average physicist.

I've never even seen a Hamiltonian in an E&M textbook, so unless it is explicitly listed as a prerequisite you don't need to worry about it.

I studies E&M (at Griffith's level) before studying Lagrangian or Hamiltonian Mechanics. So, it's possible.

My undergrad E&M had had no mention of Hamiltonian/Lagrangian. A background in vector calculus is much more important to E&M than a background in Lagrangian Mechanics.

Thanks for ur replies :smile:

f95toli said:
I've never even seen a Hamiltonian in an E&M textbook, so unless it is explicitly listed as a prerequisite you don't need to worry about it.

That is too bad, there is a little bit in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics with a reference to Barut's Electrodynamics and Classical Theory Fields and Particles for more. There is no particular need to have seen it in a mechanics context before hand. Some books and courses on Lagragian mechanics do not even mention the hamiltonian which is even more troubling. Electrical engineers often learn about EM without knowing much about mechanics.

Last edited:

What is EM theory?

EM theory, or electromagnetic theory, is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interaction with matter. It is a fundamental theory that explains a vast range of phenomena, from the behavior of light and radio waves to the functioning of electronic devices.

Why is classical mechanics not required for studying EM theory?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of macroscopic objects in terms of forces and motion. EM theory, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which are not described by classical mechanics. Therefore, classical mechanics is not required for studying EM theory.

What are some real-world applications of EM theory?

EM theory has numerous real-world applications, including the development of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions. It is also used in the fields of telecommunications, medical imaging, and remote sensing.

What are some key concepts in EM theory?

Some key concepts in EM theory include Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and the principle of superposition, which states that the total field at any point is the sum of the fields produced by each individual source. Other important concepts include electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, and the properties of conductors and dielectrics.

How can I learn more about EM theory without a background in classical mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning about EM theory without a background in classical mechanics. You can start by reading introductory textbooks or online resources that explain the basic concepts of EM theory. It may also be helpful to take a course or attend lectures on the subject. Additionally, hands-on experiments and simulations can provide a practical understanding of EM theory.