Guidance Needed For Undergrad Research

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student seeking guidance for doing research. They ask for advice on important factors for successful research and how to publish their work in a scientific journal. They also share a negative experience with a professor.
Peon666
Hi all.

I'm an undergrad student of EE with specialization in Telecommunications and I need guidance for doing undergrad research? Here are my questions:

1- What are most important ingredients to carry out a good undergrad research?
2- How can I publish an undergrad research thesis/paper in some scientific journal?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find a professor to work with who has a strong reputation, who is friendly and helpful, and who will recognize and respect serious effort and dedication on your part.
2. See #1, or just find a professor who just wants you as a lackey, writes a paper on his own, asks you to proofread the paper and then doesn't accept any of your revisions even though he barely speaks English, and then puts your name on it, which is what happened to me.

Hi there,

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of guidance in research. To answer your questions:

1- The most important ingredients for a good undergrad research are a clear research question, a well-defined methodology, and thorough data analysis. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the relevant literature and to be able to articulate the significance of your research.

2- To publish an undergrad research thesis/paper in a scientific journal, you will need to follow the submission guidelines of the journal you are interested in. This typically includes formatting requirements, word limits, and referencing style. It is also important to have your work reviewed by a mentor or professor before submitting to ensure its quality and relevance to the journal's scope.

I would also recommend seeking guidance from your professors or a research mentor in your field. They can provide valuable insights and help you navigate the research process. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is undergraduate research and why is it important?

Undergraduate research is a form of experiential learning where students participate in academic or scientific research under the guidance of a faculty mentor. It allows students to apply their classroom learning to real-world problems and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides valuable hands-on experience and can help students stand out in graduate school or job applications.

2. How do I find a research project to work on?

The first step is to talk to your professors and express your interest in research. They can help connect you with ongoing projects or guide you in finding a mentor. You can also look for research opportunities through your university's website or by attending research fairs and conferences.

3. What should I expect from a research project?

Research projects vary greatly depending on the field and the specific project. Generally, you can expect to spend a significant amount of time reading and understanding background literature, designing and executing experiments, analyzing data, and presenting your findings. You will also work closely with your mentor and potentially collaborate with other researchers.

4. How can I make the most out of my undergraduate research experience?

To make the most out of your research experience, it is important to communicate with your mentor regularly and ask for feedback. Take advantage of any training or workshops offered by your university, and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance when needed. Additionally, try to present your research at conferences or publish your findings in a scholarly journal.

5. Can I get academic credit or funding for my research?

Many universities offer academic credit for research projects, either through independent study courses or by incorporating research into existing courses. Some universities also offer funding opportunities for undergraduate research, such as grants or scholarships. It is best to check with your university's research office or your mentor for more information on available options.