Unit conversion question

In summary, the person fell 6 miles from the plane, which is equivalent to 9,656.06 metres. The book may have a mistake since the correct conversion gives a slightly different answer.
1irishman

Homework Statement

The person fell from the plane 6 miles and survived the fall.
What is the distance the person fell in metres?

Homework Equations

1m=3.281ft
1mi=5280ft
1ft=0.3048m

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured if 1 mi = 5280ft
then 6 miles must be : 6(5280ft)=31, 680ft.
I also figured if 1ft = 0.3048m then 31, 680 * 0.3048 should get the distance in metres to be
9,656.06metres. The book says 10, 159m is the answer, so can anyone help me here please? Is it possible the book is wrong?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1irishman! :wink:

Your answer looks right to me. :smile:

Funny.

10159/6 = 1693.17 meters per mile

1 statute mile = 1609.344 meters

Looks to me like someone ate 0 when calculating the answer.

idwra0.png
check your answer here: http://www.unitconversion.org/length/meters-to-miles-conversion.html

I would first check the accuracy of the given information, such as the height at which the person fell and any other variables that may affect the calculation. Assuming the information is accurate, your calculation is correct. It is possible that the book has a typo or error in their answer. I would recommend double checking your calculations and if they are correct, bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor. It is important to always question and verify information in science.

1. How do I convert units?

To convert units, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. Multiply the value in the original unit by the conversion factor to get the value in the desired unit.

2. What is a conversion factor?

A conversion factor is a number that is used to convert a value from one unit to another. It represents the ratio between the two units and is usually obtained from a conversion table or formula.

3. Can I convert between different types of units?

Yes, as long as you know the conversion factor, you can convert between any types of units. However, it is important to make sure that the units being converted are measuring the same quantity.

4. How accurate are unit conversions?

Unit conversions are typically accurate to the number of significant figures present in the original value. However, the accuracy can be affected by human error or rounding during calculations.

5. Is there a difference between converting units and converting measurements?

Converting units and converting measurements are essentially the same thing. However, converting measurements may involve more than just changing the units, such as converting between different systems of measurement (e.g. metric to imperial).