Role of mean value theorem in fundamental theorem of calculus proof

In summary, the constant difference theorem states that if f and g have the same derivative on an interval, then there is a constant k such that f(x)=g(x)+k for each x in the interval; that is, the graphs of f and g can be obtained from one another by a vertical translation.
dylanbyte
Hi, I've been watching the MIT lectures on single variable calculus, and whilst proving FTC, he mentions that we since we know that: <$> f'(x) = g'(x) </$>, then by MVT we know that <$> f(x) = g(x) + C </$>.

I have tried searching for somewhere where this implication is spelled out for me, but I'm having trouble.

As I understand MVT, it tells us that for two points on a function, there is a tangent, in that interval, parallel to the secant described by those points.

A quick explanation would be really appreciated so I can fully appreciate this goodly resource!

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
f'(x) = g'(x) then by CDT (Constant Difference Theorem) f(x)=g(x)+C.

Here is something to know:

"The Constant Difference Theorem has a simple geometric interpretation - it tells us that if f and g have the same derivative on an interval, then there is a constant k such that f(x)=g(x)+k for each x in the interval; that is, the graphs of f and g can be obtained from one another by a vertical translation" - Calculus (Seventh Edition) by Howard Anton, Irl Bivens and Stephen Davis.

Analytically, the implication you are describing is a corollary of the fact that a function with derivative zero must be a constant. For a precise statement and the details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_value_theorem#A_simple_application". The corollary itself follows by defining a new function h to be the difference of f and g, i.e. h = f-g.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how it follows directly from MVT: For all x, f'(x) = g'(x) means for all x, (f-g)'(x) = 0. Consider the function (f-g)(x). Since it has a derivative equal to 0, it is differentiable (hence also continuous) everywhere. Consider for x and y with x < y, (f-g)(x) and (f-g)(y). By the mean value theorem, in (x,y) there exists z such that [(f-g)(x) - (f-g)(y)]/(x-y) = (f-g)'(z) = 0. Hence, (f-g)(x) = (f-g)(y) = C.

EDIT: Well, I sort of jumped the gun on you, Office_Shredder -_-.

I assume the question is more about how the MVT is used for this statement than why it's true.

We can look at the function h(x)f(x)-g(x). It's derivative is zero, and I claim the MVT implies that means h(x) is constant. If you're not sure why, consider two points where h is unequal and ask what the MVT says about this situation

Ah thank you for the extremely prompt and enlightening replies, I am still learning and what seems obvious to most is rather opaque to me. My mistake here, was I think, taking MVT at its boring face value, rather than the practical information it gives us from the derivative be it neg, pos or 0. Although I guess they're the same thing.

Thanks again!

1. What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

2. How does the mean value theorem relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The mean value theorem is a crucial step in the proof of the fundamental theorem of calculus. It allows us to connect the concepts of integration and differentiation, by showing that the average rate of change of a function over an interval is equal to the value of the function at a specific point within that interval.

3. Can you explain the proof of the fundamental theorem of calculus using the mean value theorem?

Yes, the proof of the fundamental theorem of calculus relies on the mean value theorem to establish the existence of a point within an interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function. This point is then used to define the upper and lower limits of the integral, allowing us to evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. Why is the mean value theorem important in calculus?

The mean value theorem is important in calculus because it provides a way to connect the concepts of integration and differentiation. It also has many practical applications, such as finding the average velocity of an object over a specific time interval or determining when a function is increasing or decreasing.

5. Can the mean value theorem be applied to any function?

No, the mean value theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. This means that there cannot be any breaks or sharp turns in the function on the interval, and the derivative of the function must exist at every point within the interval.