Why thrust decreases then increases with velocity?

In summary, thrust decreases as velocity increases due to the increase in air resistance or drag. However, at a certain point, the thrust will overcome the air resistance and continue to increase with velocity. The design of the object, specifically its shape and surface area, greatly affects the relationship between thrust and velocity. By manipulating the design, the amount of air resistance can be reduced, allowing for a longer period of increasing thrust with velocity.
dale_8888
Hello,

I was trying to find out why net thrust decreases then increases with velocity. I recall there is pressure and momentum thrust, however I can not recall why one of them falls away and the other increases.

Is momentum thrust the one that picks up as the mass flow increases with increased velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you will have to give more information. What "thrust" are you talking about? Is this a jet engine or a fluid leaving a source under pressure?

1. Why does thrust decrease as velocity increases?

Thrust is the force that propels an object, such as a rocket, forward. As the velocity of the object increases, the air resistance or drag also increases. This creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the thrust, causing it to decrease.

2. How does air resistance affect thrust?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As the velocity of an object increases, the air resistance also increases, which reduces the overall thrust of the object.

3. Why does thrust eventually increase with velocity?

As the velocity of an object increases, the air resistance or drag also increases. However, at a certain point, the thrust of the object will overcome the air resistance and continue to increase with velocity.

4. How does the design of the object affect the relationship between thrust and velocity?

The design of an object, especially its shape and surface area, greatly affects the amount of air resistance it experiences. Objects with a streamlined shape and smaller surface area will experience less air resistance and therefore have a longer period of increasing thrust with velocity.

5. Can the relationship between thrust and velocity be manipulated?

Yes, the relationship between thrust and velocity can be manipulated by altering the design of the object. By reducing the surface area and streamlining the shape, the amount of air resistance can be decreased, allowing for a longer period of increasing thrust with velocity.