A question about water flow rate

In summary, the water will go to a certain height depending on the pressure at the exit and the initial velocity. To calculate the flow rate and head pressure, you first need to know the pipe diameter and the time it takes for the water to reach the desired height.
alwindawee
Hi all, I'm doing a experiment at home I'm trying to know how the flow rate on the water height that tossed from a nozzle with 3mm of diameter.

By an other word if there is a relationship between flow and the height please some one explain it to me.

Also I wana to know if the head pressure if the water height that tossed from a nozzle.

thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The height the water will go to is a function of the pressure at the exit only. The pressure determines the velocity, which determines the height.

thanks, russ.

thank you too nvn, I have read the post but did not reach what I need, I think if I explain the problem a little more you could help so this what the problem.

I wana the water go for the desired height and want to know how much flow rate and how much head (Q and H) needed so I can choose the right pump.

And this is the way I imagined the matter:

I applied this formula "s=s0+(v0*t)+(0.5*a*t^2)" and solved for v0 supposing that:

s0=0 .... at the nozzle.
t=1s .... I suppose that water reach the desired height in 1s.
a=9.81 ... the acceleration due to gravity.

finding v0 which is the initial velocity the water tossed with from the nozzle.

Then applying the formula "Flow Rate = 0.25 * pi * (pipe diameter)^2 * velocity"

solving for flow rate I'll find the needed flow rate so I can select the pump.

and for the Head Pressure (H) as I know we can determine the needed H approximately by measuring the distance from the spot that the pump stands to the nozzles tossing hole.

this is the way I calculate things, if it's wrong please help me and by the way I'm a electronic engineering student but like mechanics.

thanks for you response again.

1. What is water flow rate?

Water flow rate refers to the amount of water that passes through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per second (L/s).

2. How is water flow rate calculated?

Water flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of water that passes through a point by the time it takes for the water to pass through. This can be measured using a flow meter or by using a formula that takes into account the diameter of the pipe and the pressure of the water.

3. What factors affect water flow rate?

Several factors can affect water flow rate, including the diameter of the pipe, the pressure of the water, the viscosity of the water, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe. Temperature and altitude can also have an impact on water flow rate.

4. Why is water flow rate important?

Water flow rate is important for several reasons. It can help determine the efficiency of water systems, such as irrigation and plumbing systems. It is also important for understanding the amount of water available for various uses and for identifying any potential issues or blockages in the system.

5. How can water flow rate be controlled?

Water flow rate can be controlled in several ways, including adjusting the pressure of the water, using flow control valves, or installing flow restrictors. Proper maintenance of pipes and removing any obstructions can also help improve and control water flow rate.