Please Explain this reation to me Very Briefly

• Thread starter Maisara-WD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the reactions of a metal with an oxidizing acid will produce Fe(III) over Fe(II). The strong oxidizers, such as nitric acid, will produce more Fe(III) than Fe(II) due to their higher oxidizing potential.
Maisara-WD
Hi All

Will you please please explain this reaction to me.. Very Briefly??

The reaction of a metal eg. Fe with an oxidizing acid eg. conc sulphuric or dil or conc nitric...

Fe + 4HNO3 -----> Fe(NO3)3 + 2H2O + NO

3Fe + 8H2SO4 ----conc hot-----> Fe(SO4)3 + 4SO2 + 8H2O

Of course passivation occurs with conc Nitric acid.

I need your help to get the whole staff in my mind... I have millions of undescribable questions.. explain and help me please ;)

thanx very very much

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maisara-WD said:
Hi All

The reaction of a metal eg. Fe with an oxidizing acid eg. conc sulphuric or dil or conc nitric...

3Fe + 8H2SO4 ----conc hot-----> Fe(SO4)3 + 4SO2 + 8H2O

Of course passivation occurs with conc Nitric acid.

I need your help to get the whole staff in my mind... I have millions of undescribable estions.. explain and help me please ;)

thanx very very much
Im altering your original reactions for the following explanation
2Fe + 4(HNO3) ---> 2(Fe(NO3)2) + 2H2

2Fe + 4(H2SO4) ---> 2(FeSO4) + 2(SO2) + 4(H2O)

Reactions are driven by thermodynamics and/or by entropy
In the first reaction the nitrate group is preferentially oxidizing the iron and releasing hydrogen. The hydrogen is displaced here since the heat of formation,( the enthalpy change),of iron nitrate is greater than the heat of formation of nitric acid. So the products are in lower energy than the reactants.
For the second reaction Ill just say that the above also applies to the sulphate group ,in terms of preferentially oxidizing the iron with a greater delta H
And there is also an increase in entropy

Last edited:
Maisara-WD said:

Please elaborate - explain what?

Please note that at least iron(III) sulfate formula is wrong. Can be a typo.

morrobay said:
2Fe + 4(HNO3) ---> 2(Fe(NO3)2) + 2H2

2Fe + 4(H2SO4) ---> 2(FeSO4) + 2(SO2) + 4(H2O)

Both reactions are wrong.

First - no need for some of the parentheses, it is not 4(HNO3) but 4HNO3.

Second - nitric acid is a strong oxidizer, so it will produce Fe(III), not Fe(II). That means also reducing nitric acid to its oxides.

Third - in the reaction with sulfuric acid, if you put SO2 between products, that means you are assuming sulfuric acid acted as an oxidizer. That means iron is oxidized further than to +2, to oxidize it to +2 just H+ is enough.

For the first reaction if it was dilute nitric acid and iron then the iron could be Fe ++,
2Fe + 4HNO3 ---> 2Fe(NO3)2 +2H2
For the second reaction with iron and sulfuric acid I would have originally put:
Fe + H2SO4 ---> FeSO4 + H2

correct?

Much better now.

Can't understand how you write hydrogen as a product in the reaction metal + HNO3: hydrogen reduces immediately NO3- in those conditions.

The correct one is the first written by the OP:

Furthermore, if HNO3 is very diluted, hydrogen reduces NO3- even to ammonium ion...

Borek said:
Second - nitric acid is a strong oxidizer, so it will produce Fe(III), not Fe(II). That means also reducing nitric acid to its oxides.

That's what I do want to understand...

WHY and how the strong oxidizers as conc sulphuric acid or nitric acid produce Fe(III) and not Fe(II)...
And more important: What is the basis on which these oxidizers are reduced into their oxides>>??

thank u all guys..

I'm waiting

Maisara-WD said:
WHY and how the strong oxidizers as conc sulphuric acid or nitric acid produce Fe(III) and not Fe(II).

It is all in th eredox potentials.

What is the basis on which these oxidizers are reduced into their oxides>>??

No idea what you are asking about. That's the way the react when they act as oxidizers.

lightarrow said:
Can't understand how you write hydrogen as a product in the reaction metal + HNO3: hydrogen reduces immediately NO3- in those conditions.

The correct one is the first written by the OP:

Furthermore, if HNO3 is very diluted, hydrogen reduces NO3- even to ammonium ion...

OK
Your right. It looks like i took a wrong turn on this.
Not having my 1A, 1B text doesn't help.

What is a reaction?

A reaction is a process in which substances interact with each other to form new substances. This can involve breaking or forming chemical bonds.

What does it mean to explain a reaction?

Explaining a reaction means describing the process and changes that occur during the reaction, including the reactants, products, and any intermediates involved.

How can a reaction be described briefly?

A reaction can be described briefly by using a chemical equation to show the reactants, products, and any necessary conditions or catalysts. The equation should also indicate the stoichiometry, or relative amounts, of each substance involved.

Why is it important to understand reactions?

Understanding reactions is important for many reasons, including predicting and controlling chemical reactions, developing new products and processes, and understanding the natural world.

What factors can influence a reaction?

A reaction can be influenced by various factors, such as temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and the nature of the reactants and products. These factors can affect the rate and direction of the reaction.