Solving dy/dx=y+cos(x)y^2010 Using Var. of Parameters/Constant Method

• Thread starter dooogle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation dy/dx=y+cos(x)y^2010 using the variation of parameters/constant method and the integrating factor method. The key is to first find the solution to the homogenous equation and then use the particular solution to find the general solution. The integrating factor method can give the general solution immediately.
dooogle

Homework Statement

solve

dy/dx=y+cos(x)y^2010

using variation of parameters/constant method

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let z=1/(y^(n-1))=1/(y^(2009))

dz/dx=(dz/dy)(dy/dx)

dz/dy=-(n-1)*y^(-n)*dy/dx=-(2009*y^-2010)*(y+cos(x)y^2010)

=-2009(y^(-2009)+cos(x))

since z=y^(-2009)

=-2009(z+cos(x))

so dz/dx=-2009z-2009cos(x)

how do i separate the f(z) and f(x) to integrate?

also i need to do the equation by integrating factor but do not know what to take as the integrating factor since normally i rearange an equation into the form dy/dx+p(x)y=q(x)
and take e^int(p(x))dx as the integrating factor

thanks for your time

dooogle

Physics news on Phys.org

The equation is not separable. Rearrange the terms to write

[tex]\frac{ dz}{dx} + 2009z =-2009cos(x).[/tex]

This is of the form you are used to, just determine p and q.

hi thanks for the help

so i can take p(x)=2009 and q(x)=-2009cos(x)

using e^int(2009)dx=e^2009x

multiply throughout by e^2009x giving

d(e^2009x)z/dx= -2009cos(x)*e^2009x

so e^2009x*z= int -2009cos(x)*e^2009x dx

using the integrating factor method

but what i don't understand is why i need to use both the variation of parameters/constants and the integrating factor methods when the question asks for me to solve the equation using one method then the other and compare the methods

thanks for your help

dooogle

Last edited:

Variation of parameters is not what you did. All you've done is a change of variables at this point. The method of variation of parameters is the following. First, find the solution to the homogenous equation

[tex]
\frac{ dz}{dx} + 2009z =0,
[/tex]

and call it [tex]z_h(x)[/tex]. Then look for a particular solution to the inhomogenous equation of the form

[tex] z_p(x) = c(x) z_h(x) .[/tex]

Usually [tex]c(x)[/tex] will satisfy a simpler equation than the one we started with. Then the general solution is

[tex] z = z_h + z_p.[/tex]

This last expression is what you want to compare to the result of using the integrating factor.
The particular solution [tex]z_p[/tex]

Hi guys, sorry to reopen an absolutely archaic thread but I'm trying to solve an equation similar to this one (well I already have). I'm stuck on the comparison between the integrating factor and variation of constants techniques. As far as I'm aware there is absolutely no difference for a first-order linear equation? Thanks for any help.

korobeiniki said:
Hi guys, sorry to reopen an absolutely archaic thread but I'm trying to solve an equation similar to this one (well I already have). I'm stuck on the comparison between the integrating factor and variation of constants techniques. As far as I'm aware there is absolutely no difference for a first-order linear equation? Thanks for any help.

You can't use the variation of parameters method to find a particular solution of the NH equation unless you already have a solution of the homogeneous equation. You have to get that somehow first.

The advantage of the integrating factor method is it gives the general solution (at least in principle) immediately.

1. How do you solve dy/dx=y+cos(x)y^2010 using variation of parameters?

To solve this differential equation, we first assume that the solution has the form y = u(x)v(x), where u(x) and v(x) are functions of x. Then, we substitute this into the original equation and solve for u'(x) and v'(x). Finally, we integrate u'(x) and v'(x) to find u(x) and v(x), and plug them back into the solution y = u(x)v(x) to get the general solution.

2. What is the constant method in solving dy/dx=y+cos(x)y^2010 using variation of parameters?

The constant method is an alternative method to solving the variation of parameters. Instead of assuming the solution has the form y = u(x)v(x), we assume y = ue^x, where u is a function of x. We then substitute this into the original equation and solve for u'(x). We can then integrate u'(x) to find u(x) and plug it back into the solution y = ue^x to get the general solution.

3. Can you explain the concept of variation of parameters in solving differential equations?

Variation of parameters is a method used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves assuming the solution has the form y = u(x)v(x), where u(x) and v(x) are functions of x, and using this to find the general solution. This method is based on the concept that the parameters u(x) and v(x) can be varied to find a particular solution that satisfies the original equation.

4. What is the difference between the constant method and variation of parameters in solving differential equations?

The main difference between the constant method and variation of parameters is the form of the assumed solution. In the constant method, we assume y = ue^x, while in variation of parameters we assume y = u(x)v(x). Additionally, the constant method is only applicable to equations with a term of the form y' + ay = f(x), while variation of parameters can be used for more general equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using variation of parameters to solve differential equations?

One limitation of variation of parameters is that it can only be used to solve linear differential equations. It also requires that the non-homogeneous term in the equation is a product of two functions of x. If this is not the case, then other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the Laplace transform must be used.