Differention (could you check my solutions please)

• Thread starter enosthapa
  • Start date
In summary, to differentiate y=e-xsin(3x), you can use the product rule to get y'=-e-xSin(3x)+3e-xCos(3x). Alternatively, you can take the natural logarithm of both sides and use the derivative of ln(e^-x) to get y'=-(e-xSin3x)/x2+3e-xCos3x. Just be careful to correctly apply the derivative of ln(e^-x) as -1/x.
enosthapa

Homework Statement

Differentiate y=e-xsin(3x)

2.The attempt at a solution

With Product rule
y'=-e-xSin(3x)+3e-xCos(3x)

And Logarithm way
Taking log both sides

lny= lne-x+ln(Sin3x)

lny= 1/x+ln(Sin3x)

1/y*dy/dx=-x-2+3(Cos3x/Sin3x)

y'=-(e-xSin3x)/x2+3e-xCos3x

Physics news on Phys.org
your product rule one looks good , but I don't think log one is .
why do you go from ln(e^-x) to 1/x
dervative of ln(e^(-x)) is -1

cragar said:
your product rule one looks good , but I don't think log one is .
why do you go from ln(e^-x) to 1/x
dervative of ln(e^(-x)) is -1

I would make sense but this is what i did

ln(e^-x) = 1/(lne^x)
=1/(x.lne)
=1/x

ok but you see the difference ln(e^-x) = ln(1/(e^x))

Oh yes thankx... but can I do
ln(e^-x) = -x lne =-x

enosthapa said:
Oh yes thankx... but can I do
ln(e^-x) = -x lne =-x

Of course!

ln(t) is the inverse function of e(t), so ln(et ) = t .

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and finding extrema of functions.

2. What are the different types of differentiation?

There are three main types of differentiation: the derivative, the partial derivative, and the directional derivative. The derivative is used for functions with one independent variable, while the partial derivative is used for functions with multiple independent variables. The directional derivative involves finding the rate of change of a function in a specific direction.

3. How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze real-life situations where rates of change are involved, such as in motion, growth, and decay problems. It is also used to optimize processes and determine the maximum or minimum value of a function.

4. What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The power rule states that the derivative of xn is nxn-1. The product rule states that the derivative of a product of two functions is the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function. The quotient rule states that the derivative of a quotient of two functions is the denominator times the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator. The chain rule is used when differentiating composite functions.

5. What is the relationship between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. Differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function, while integration involves finding the area under a curve. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that differentiation and integration are connected through the fundamental theorem of calculus, which allows us to evaluate integrals using antiderivatives found through differentiation.