Measurement of capacitance of dielectric film using front contants

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a Van der Pauw measurement to calculate the capacitance of a thin dielectric film on a SiO2 substrate. The individual also mentions using metal dots on the top of the film to measure electrical properties and asks for a reference to a book or article on this topic. Another participant suggests using a Van der Pauw measurement for surface resistance but is unable to find references for this specific use.
capMeasure
Hi,

I have deposited a film of dielectric on SiO2 substrate. Then, deposited metal dots on the top of dielectric film to measure electrical properties. I want to measure capacitance using metal dots on the top of dielectric. Since I have SiO2 as a substrate, I can not make a parallel plate capacitance measurement. But someone told me, it is possible to calculate capacitance using only front contacts (two metal dots). It will be very helpful if someone can give a reference to book or article.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It believe (not 100% sure) it is possible to use what is essentially a Van der Pauw measurement to measure the capacitance (or rather the dielectric constant) of a thin film. Might be worth looking into. You can definitely use it to measure the surface resistance.

Thanks f95toli, I tried to find more material using Van der Pauw measurement for dielectric constant, but I could not find. Please let me know if you can get any reference. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

1. What is capacitance and why is it important to measure it in dielectric films?

Capacitance is the ability of a material to store an electrical charge. In dielectric films, capacitance is important because it affects the electrical properties of the film and can impact its functionality in electronic devices.

2. How is capacitance of a dielectric film measured using front contacts?

Front contacts refer to the electrodes placed on the surface of the dielectric film. To measure capacitance, a voltage is applied across the front contacts and the resulting current is measured. The capacitance can then be calculated using the relationship C=Q/V, where Q is the charge stored and V is the applied voltage.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of capacitance measurements in dielectric films?

The accuracy of capacitance measurements can be affected by factors such as the thickness and uniformity of the film, the properties of the front contacts, and the environmental conditions during measurement (e.g. temperature, humidity). It is important to control these factors to ensure accurate measurements.

4. Are there any alternative methods for measuring capacitance in dielectric films?

Yes, there are other methods for measuring capacitance in dielectric films, such as using back contacts or using non-contact techniques like impedance spectroscopy. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific research or application needs.

5. How can the measurement of capacitance in dielectric films be useful in research and industry?

The measurement of capacitance in dielectric films can provide valuable information about the electrical properties of the film, which can be useful for research and industry. It can help in the development and optimization of materials and processes for electronic devices, and in the quality control of dielectric films used in various applications.