Small software upgrade next wednesday

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the site will be down for approx. 1 hour for a software update. Everything should be back to normal afterwards. Be patient, and remember to check the blog for updates or check the map for fire drill information.
AlephZero said:
We always used to do software updates on Fridays.

Then we got an "accident prone" programmer on the team, and we changed to doing them on Thursday, so if something went wrong we had Friday to fix it before it screwed up the weekend's computing.

But one day wasn't always enough to fix the problems, so we changed to doing updates on Wednesdays ...

... and eventually, we got back to doing them on Fridays, and working two 16-hour days on Saturday and Sunday to clean up the mess.

Then somebody had a better idea, and we recommended the accident-prone guy for fast-track promotion into management. Problem solved, permamently.
We solved many problems by promoting people. Sad, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
We solved many problems by promoting people. Sad, isn't it?

It's only sad if they figure out that's why they got promoted.

Let's come up with a fancy name for this principle. The 'Peter Principle' is the tendency for promotion until incompetence is reached. This related principle may summarized 'promote until incompetence doesn't matter'. I don't have a suggestion - I just think we have something here that deserves a good name.

Last edited:
PAllen said:
Let's come up with a fancy name for this principle. The 'Peter Principle' is the tendency for promotion until incompetence is reached. This related principle may summarized 'promote until incompetence doesn't matter'. I don't have a suggestion - I just think we have something there that deserves a good name.

The Fundamental Theorem of Business?

PAllen said:
Let's come up with a fancy name for this principle. The 'Peter Principle' is the tendency for promotion until incompetence is reached. This related principle may summarized 'promote until incompetence doesn't matter'. I don't have a suggestion - I just think we have something here that deserves a good name.

That's the Peter Out Principle.

Upgrade is done. Some template will need to be worked on. My apologies for any temporary goofyness. Thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Upgrade is done. Some template will need to be worked on. My apologies for any temporary goofyness. Thanks!

Nice work! I barely even felt it; 'twas merely a slight pinch! :biggrin:

PAllen said:

Entropy of Competence?

AlephZero said:
Then somebody had a better idea, and we recommended the accident-prone guy for fast-track promotion into management. Problem solved, permamently.
An inept manager who is in charge of a project and managing people can do much more damage than the most inept worker. Here's hoping that he was fast-tracked to a project of one with no budget.

The problem isn't solved permanently because he's still a drain on and a potential liability to the company. The solution is to keep promoting him! Eventually your competition will notice and lure hire him away from you.

A few things I've noticed with the upgrade:

- When I log on I get an invalid message yet when I click on a banner link I'm shown as logged in

- People's blog count isn't appearing in a neat box but plaining written under their post count

All for now...

Ryan_m_b said:
A few things I've noticed with the upgrade:

- When I log on I get an invalid message yet when I click on a banner link I'm shown as logged in

- People's blog count isn't appearing in a neat box but plaining written under their post count

All for now...

Both of those issues should be fixed now

D H said:
The solution is to keep promoting him! Eventually your competition will notice and lure hire him away from you.

Actually, he got shunted into a corner of the business that was taken over by an outsourcing company. He's probably screwing things up at "international enterprise empowerment evangelist" level by now.

That sort of outcome almost makes you want to believe in karma :smile:

Threads with zero replies are not highlighted.

We seem to have lost the ability to highlight a piece of text and type "Alt Gr+i" to surround it by "i" tags or "Alt Gr+b" to surround it by "b" tags. (Not a big problem, but if it's easy to fix...)

Just checking if the spoiler tags are still ugly. :smile: Not an actual problem, but I was curious if that would change since they look so much better on at least one other vBulletin forum I know. Apparently ours can't even hide a smiley. :smile:

Fredrik said:
Just checking if the spoiler tags are still ugly. :smile: Not an actual problem, but I was curious if that would change since they look so much better on at least one other vBulletin forum I know. Apparently ours can't even hide a smiley. :smile:

:eek: floating ghost smileys :eek:

Every time I close my brower, I get logged out. (Yes, I'm checking "remember me" each time).

Fredrik said:
We seem to have lost the ability to highlight a piece of text and type "Alt Gr+i" to surround it by "i" tags or "Alt Gr+b" to surround it by "b" tags. (Not a big problem, but if it's easy to fix...)
Pretty sure that's actually a browser thing, not a forum thing.

What browser are you using?

Fredrik said:
Every time I close my brower, I get logged out. (Yes, I'm checking "remember me" each time).

I get the same behavior. Brand new behavior.

Fredrik said:

I saw it once, until I clicked remember me but now it's behaving. I am running FF8.

Greg Bernhardt said:
try clearing the pf cookies

We have cookies??

This is the best PF evar!

Greg Bernhardt said:
:blushing: That actually solved the login issue. I should have tried that before.

DaveC426913 said:
Pretty sure that's actually a browser thing, not a forum thing.

What browser are you using?
Firefox 7.0.1. This feature stopped working here today (certainly no later than a few days ago...I'm pretty sure that I would have noticed it quickly because I use italics more than most. I don't think it has ever worked at forums.randi.org, another vBulletin forum where I'm also a member. So it certainly looks more like a forum thing than a browser thing.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Hi Greg,
I have cleared the cookies, but PF but still logs me out. And after logging in, I get a message "Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.physicsforums.com/?)" and I have to click on "previous page" to find Physicsforums again. Any advice?

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
ehild said:
Hi Greg,
I have cleared the cookies, but PF but still logs me out. And after logging in, I get a message "Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.physicsforums.com/?)" and I have to click on "previous page" to find Physicsforums again. Any advice?

ehild

Me too. Also when I close my browser and have to log in again all my recent subscribed threads become unread again.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It still logs me out using Safari. It not only logs me out when I close the browser, it also logs me out with the browser continuously open but after some time limit has passed.

No more log-in problem, thanks! ehild

I am logged out all the time, even during a single session. Opera.

To add to that I can't delete two of the PF cookies, which may add to my problems. I am more and more inclined to dump Opera :grumpy:

I have noticed a similar thing from two locations. The major symptom being if you leave PF open idle for sometime, when you come back you are logged off and must log back in. Also your ID and password are removed from the login screen, even if you clicked remember me the last time you logged in.

Is this part of the change you made Greg ? If so, what are the new limits before you are logged off and must log back in ?

Edit: I will try clearing cookies and see if it helps, will report back if it does not.

Rhody...

Last edited:
Seems to me like internal links generated on pages are inconsistent - sometimes they are to www.physicsforums.com, sometimes they are to physicsforums.com - this is probably responsible for at least part of the problems.

Last edited:
Cleared all my PF cookies fixed the problem (Chrome on Mac).

When I try to log in on physicsforums.com I get the "Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.physicsforums.com/)" message (apparently from vBulletin).

Borek said:
When I try to log in on physicsforums.com I get the "Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.physicsforums.com/)" message (apparently from vBulletin).
That works for me (chrome).

Borek said:

Try now Borek

Last edited:
I'm trying to upgrade to 20 yrs - is this the right place to ask a question? I can't enter an amount in the box where the $49.99 should go, and I keep getting a message about selecting a currency. thanx, john

jcw99 said:
I'm trying to upgrade to 20 yrs - is this the right place to ask a question? I can't enter an amount in the box where the $49.99 should go, and I keep getting a message about selecting a currency. thanx, john

Hi jcw99, it should be a simple drop down where you select the $49.99. You shouldn't have to enter any amount manually.