Rigid Body Rotation: Find Vel & Action on Axis in Eq. Pos.

In summary: And then I'd have to find the kinetic energy of the disk and the point right?And then I'd have to find the kinetic energy of the disk and the point right?Yes, but you need the angular velocity first. Use conservation of energy as a hint.
dttah

Homework Statement

A system is made of the following things:

A homogeneous disk of mass m = 4kg.
Having radius r = 80cm's.
A point P (m = 2kg) free to rotate around a horizontal axis which is perpendicular to the disk in point A.
AO = OP/2
If the system starts from rest and AP forms a 90° angle with the vertical axis, find the angular velocity and the action on the axis (not sure what this means) in point A, when the system is passing through its equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

******Completely not sure about the following:

I am just starting out with rigid bodies, so I will be a lil' slow. As long as I understood I should find the center of mass, so uhm.
The disk is homogenous so the center of mass would be the center.

Let O be the origin of our system.

The center of mass would be:

[itex]\frac{0*4+0.8*2}{6}[/itex]

So the center of mass would be (0,26,0);
Uhm, now I thought I would have found the radius of the circumference having center A and radius Ax (center of mass).
So I did:

r = OP/2 + 0.26 = 0.66.

And now I am completely stuck.
Could you please give away some hints, and check if I did correctly 'till now or I completely missed it? Thanks.

The picture is this one, forget about the italian, it'd be the circumference on the bottom:

http://www.quellidiinformatica.org/upload/8/0/img007.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh all right - it's poorly described isn't it: the disk and mass form a pendulum.
Point P is on the perimeter of the disk - has an extra point mass m.
Point A is on the line through OP but on the opposite side of O to P
|OA|=|OP|/2 = R/2

Point A is the pivot ... so this is all about rotation about a point other than the center.

When AP is 90deg to vertical, is the position shown ... AP is horizontal.

If we say vertical-down is zero-degrees, then this is the equilibrium position for the pendulum... zero degrees.

Initially [itex]Mg(R/2)+mg(3R/2)=I\alpha[/itex] ... or something... M is the mass of the disk.

I don't know what "action on the axis" means either.

Holy, that's kind of unexpected, I mean I don't see any wire nor talking about gravity, so yeah, the idea didn't even pass by my mind.

I don't get why you say that "This is all about rotation about a point other than the center"
Why's that?

Point A is the pivot - it is not at the center of mass is it? Nor is it at the center of the disk.
This affects the moment of inertia.

I for the point mass is easy, it will be m(3R/2)^2
I for the disk is trickier - if the pivot was at O then it would be (1/2)MR^2 - but it ain't.
How is the moment of inertia affected when the pivot is off-center?

Simon Bridge said:
Oh all right - it's poorly described isn't it: the disk and mass form a pendulum.
Not really all that poorly described. You just have to infer that gravity is present, and "la posizione di equilibrio" gives a big clue that this is the case.
google translation said:
A system consisting of a hard homogeneous mass m=4.0 kg and radius OP=80 cm and a particle of mass 2.0 kg placed at P and free to rotate to a horizontal axis perpendicular to the disk at point A (OA=OP/2). If the system starts from rest with AP forming a right angle with the vertical, calculate its angular velocity and the action of A on the axis when it passes the equilibrium position.

I am sorry if I am a little slow but as I said I am just starting out with these.
The disk isn't rotation around its center of mass (the center), so we have to apply the integral of r^2dm
in order to find out the moment of inertia?
Or maybe I could apply the parallel axis theorem?

dttah said:
Or maybe I could apply the parallel axis theorem?
Try that.

Alright, so the center of mass would be the center of the disk itself.

So it'd be..

1/2 MR^2 + MD^2.

Where the distance here would be OP/2.

So 1/2 (4kg) * 0.8m + 4kg*0.4m = 3,2.

Now I found the moment of inertia (if I did it right, lol) of the disk rotating alone point A.

The moment that the whole system is set free it has no initial kinetic energy, but it has potential energy.

Then everything is converted in kinetik energy of rotation.
So it'd be something like...

mgh (disk) + mgh(mass) = 1/2Iw^2 (disk) + 1/2Iw^2 (mass).

I am not completely sure though. Is this right? >.<

dttah said:
So 1/2 (4kg) * 0.8m + 4kg*0.4m = 3,2.

Now I found the moment of inertia (if I did it right, lol) of the disk rotating alone point A.
You didn't. Moment of inertia should have units of mass*length2.

I suggest that you get in the habit of defining short symbolic names for key items. For example, you could denote the radius of the disk as r, the mass of the disk as M, and the mass of the point mass as m. Oftentimes (and this is one of those times), it is better to keep things symbolic as long as possible.
The moment that the whole system is set free it has no initial kinetic energy, but it has potential energy.

Then everything is converted in kinetik energy of rotation.
So it'd be something like...

mgh (disk) + mgh(mass) = 1/2Iw^2 (disk) + 1/2Iw^2 (mass).

I am not completely sure though. Is this right? >.<
Correct. How much does the center of mass of the disk move vertically from the initial position to the equilibrium position? How about of the point mass?

Alright, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to stick to that from now on.Here is the numerical correction, I = 1.28 + 0.64 = 1.92.

Now uhm.
The center of mass of the disk is the center of the disk, which is rotating alone point A.
Radius would be OP/2. It'd move pi/2 radians, shoudln't it? And same does the other point there.

So in mgh of the disk I'd stick in ...
mg(radius/2)
And in the point I'd stick:
mg(radius).

dttah said:
So in mgh of the disk I'd stick in ...
mg(radius/2)
And in the point I'd stick:
mg(radius).
You need to distinguish between the mass of the disk and the mass of the point mass. I suggested capital M and lower case m. Another choice is a simple subscript, md and mp.

More importantly, the equilibrium position of the point mass would be one disk radius below the initial position if the disk was rotating about its center, which it isn't. The disk is rotating about the point A, which is off-center.

Got it, so it'd be like:

Let
M be the mass of the disk
m be the mass of the point

For the disk:

Mg(radius/2)

For the mass point:

mg(radius+radius/2)

1. What is rigid body rotation?

Rigid body rotation is a type of motion in which a body moves in a circular path around a fixed axis without any deformation or change in shape.

2. How is the velocity of a rigid body in rotational motion calculated?

The velocity of a rigid body in rotational motion can be calculated using the formula v = ω x r, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the equation of motion for a rigid body in rotational motion?

The equation of motion for a rigid body in rotational motion is τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a rigid body calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body can be calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What does the axis of rotation represent in rigid body rotation?

The axis of rotation represents the fixed point or line around which a rigid body rotates. It can be internal or external to the body, depending on the type of rotation.