Calculating Stresses due to Bending and Shear Stresses.

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in determining σx, σy, and τxy at a certain point in a structure while solving questions on transformations of stress and strain. The equations σ = P/A + Mc/I and τ = Tc/J + VQ/It are mentioned, and it is noted that some components of stress can be zero depending on the question. An example question is provided, and the conversation ends with a request for resources on finding stresses.
sgvaibhav
Hi.

I am solving some questions on transformations of stress and strain.
I am getting stuck in one part of the question in all the problems.

I am having difficulties to determine σx, σy, τxy at a certain point in the structure.

Equations
σ = P/A + Mc/I
τ = Tc/J + VQ/It
Some components, or the entire stress can be zero depending on the question.

I will post one of the example questions where i am facing difficulty.

Question) [Picture attached] Several forces are applied to the pipe assembly shown. Knowing that the inner and outer diameters of the pipe are equal to 38 mm and 42 mm, respectively, determine (a) the principal planes and the principal stresses at point H located at the top of the outside surface of the pipe, (b) the maximum shearing stress at the same point.

My Difficulty - I know how to do the most of the question EXCEPT - finding σx, σy, τxy at a point H and/or point K.

Working- [ I think it should be correct]

Fx=0
Fy=0
Fz=0

Mx=T=-200x200mm = 40N.m
My=-200x300mm = 60N.m
Mz=48N.m

Next step find σx, σy and τxy at point H in this case.

After finding the stresses, i can solve the rest of the question.
Please share resources, or links to the concept of finding stresses if you are short of time.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 838
Physics news on Phys.org
sgvaibhav: Your Fz and My currently look incorrect. Try again. Also, use your relevant equations to make an attempt to compute one or more of the stresses. There is no point K.

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 40 N*m, not 40N*m.

What is the formula for calculating stresses due to bending?

The formula for calculating stresses due to bending is σ = Mc/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia.

How do you calculate shear stresses?

Shear stresses can be calculated using the formula τ = VQ/It, where τ is the shear stress, V is the shear force, Q is the first moment of area, I is the moment of inertia, and t is the thickness of the object.

What is the difference between bending stress and shear stress?

Bending stress is caused by a bending moment and is perpendicular to the neutral axis of a material. Shear stress, on the other hand, is caused by a shear force and is parallel to the surface of the material.

What is the significance of calculating stresses due to bending and shear stresses?

Calculating stresses due to bending and shear stresses is important in structural engineering and design. It helps determine the strength and stability of structures and allows engineers to ensure that a structure can withstand the applied forces without failing.

What are some common methods for reducing bending and shear stresses in structures?

Some common methods for reducing bending and shear stresses in structures include adding reinforcements, increasing the cross-sectional area, and using more rigid materials. Properly designing and distributing the load can also help reduce stresses in a structure.