What Are the Impressive Iron Age Coins Discovered in Jersey?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Iron
In summary, after a 30-year search, two amateur metal detectorists have discovered the largest hoard of Iron Age Celtic coins in northern Europe, totaling about 50,000 silver and bronze coins. The coins were found in Jersey, a channel island, and have an estimated value of 1 million pounds. The discovery has sparked questions about the wealth and buying power of the person or tribe who owned the coins, as well as speculation about the method of burial.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Iron Age coins discovered in Jersey after 30-year search
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/jun/26/iron-age-coins-discovered-jersey
About 50,000 silver and bronze coins uncovered by men who spent decades exploring one field
The largest hoard of Iron Age Celtic coins found anywhere in northern Europe has been discovered by two amateur metal detectorists who have been searching in the same field in Jersey for 30 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9358395/Iron-Age-coins-worth-1m-found-by-Jersey-treasure-hunters.html

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/iron-age-coins-worth-millions-unearthed-in-29812683.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's kind of incredible to me that it still possible to make amazing finds like this from the Roman era, and particularly something that directly relates to the most famous Roman of all.

I wonder how much buying power all these coins represent. How rich was the person or tribe whose coins these were?

Something I find strange is that they were found in the soil which means that they were buried loose, or, in some wooden or cloth or leather container that has since rotted away. Suggesting that whoever buried them didn't expect them to have to be hidden for all that long.

A clarification- I, at least, was taken aback at the idea of iron age coins being found in "Jersey" because I, being a self-centered American, immediately assumed it meant the American state of "New Jersey", not the channel island "Jersey". Now that would have been news!

What is the significance of Iron Age coins in Jersey?

The presence of Iron Age coins in Jersey provides evidence of human activity and trade during this period. It also sheds light on the economy and political landscape of the island during this time.

How old are the Iron Age coins found in Jersey?

The Iron Age in Jersey is estimated to have lasted from 800 BC to 43 AD, so the coins found in this period are believed to be around 2,800 to 2,000 years old.

What materials were used to make Iron Age coins in Jersey?

The coins found in Iron Age Jersey were made from a variety of materials, including bronze, silver, and gold. Some coins were also made from iron, but these were not as common.

What do the designs on Iron Age coins in Jersey represent?

The designs on Iron Age coins in Jersey often depict animals, mythical creatures, and geometric patterns. Some coins also bear the names or symbols of rulers or tribes.

How were Iron Age coins used in Jersey?

Iron Age coins in Jersey were primarily used for trading goods and services. They were also sometimes used as offerings in religious ceremonies or as symbols of wealth and status.