Solid state physics, exercise about reciprocal lattice

In summary, the conversation is about finding the reciprocal of the bcc and fcc Bravais lattices. The equations for the reciprocal lattice are given, and the attempt at a solution is shown using the given equations. A mistake is made in calculating the cross product, but is later corrected to reach the correct answer. The conversation concludes with the correct result being reached.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I don't reach the correct answer to an exercise. I'm following Ashcroft's book.
I must find that the reciprocal of the bcc Bravais lattice is a fcc one and the reciprocal of the fcc Bravais lattice is a bcc one.

Homework Equations

If a_1, a_2 and a_3 are vectors spaning the Bravais lattice, then the reciprocal lattice is spanned by the vectors [itex]b_1= 2 \pi \frac{a_2 \times a_3}{a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)}[/itex], [itex]b_2= 2 \pi \frac{a_3 \times a_1}{a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)}[/itex] and [itex]b_3= 2 \pi \frac{a_1 \times a_2}{a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a bcc lattice: [itex]a_1=\frac{a}{2}(\hat y +\hat z-\hat x )[/itex], [itex]a_2=\frac{a}{2}(\hat z +\hat x-\hat y )[/itex] and [itex]a_3=\frac{a}{2}(\hat x +\hat y-\hat z )[/itex].
While for a fcc lattice, [itex]a_1=\frac{a}{2}(\hat y +\hat z)[/itex], [itex]a_2=\frac{a}{2}(\hat z +\hat x )[/itex] and [itex]a_3=\frac{a}{2}(\hat y +\hat x )[/itex].
I first tried to show that the reciprocal of the fcc lattice is a bcc lattice. So I just used the formulae given but didn't reach what I should have.
[itex]b_1=2\pi \frac{[ \frac{a}{2}(\hat z + \hat x )] \times [ \frac{a}{2} (\hat x + \hat y ) ]}{[\frac{a}{2} (\hat y + \hat x )] \cdot [ \frac{a}{2} (\hat z + \hat x ) \times \frac{a}{2} (\hat x + \hat y ) ] }[/itex].
I calculated [itex](\hat z + \hat x ) \times (\hat x + \hat y )[/itex] to be worth [itex]\hat y + \hat z[/itex]. So that I reached that [itex]b_1=\frac{4 \pi }{a} (\hat y + \hat z )[/itex]. This is already wrong, according to the book I should have reached [itex]b_1=\frac{4 \pi }{a} \cdot \frac{1}{2} (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )[/itex].
I have no clue on what I've done wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
z times x = y
z times y = -x
x times x = 0
x times y = z

M Quack said:
z times x = y
z times y = -x
x times x = 0
x times y = z

Ok thanks. I see that I made a mistake in doing that cross product (I did it via a determinant and did the arithmetics too fast, forgetting a term).
I now reach that [itex](\hat z +\hat x) \times (\hat x +\hat y)=\hat y +\hat z -\hat x[/itex]. But now the denominator is worth [itex](\hat y +\hat x )\cdot (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )=1-1=0[/itex] which can't be right.

fluidistic said:
I now reach that [itex](\hat z +\hat x) \times (\hat x +\hat y)=\hat y +\hat z -\hat x[/itex]. But now the denominator is worth [itex](\hat y +\hat x )\cdot (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )=1-1=0[/itex] which can't be right.

The denominator should be

[itex](\hat y +\hat z )\cdot (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )[/itex]

ehild

ehild said:
The denominator should be

[itex](\hat y +\hat z )\cdot (\hat y + \hat z -\hat x )[/itex]

ehild

Ok thanks! That made it, I now reach what I should.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of solids, including their structure, electronic, magnetic, and optical properties. It also examines how these properties arise from the arrangement and interactions of atoms and molecules within the solid material.

2. What is a reciprocal lattice?

A reciprocal lattice is a mathematical representation of the periodicity and symmetry of a crystal lattice in reciprocal space. It is used to describe the diffraction patterns produced by a crystal and plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of crystalline materials in solid state physics.

3. How do you calculate the reciprocal lattice vectors?

The reciprocal lattice vectors are calculated by taking the inverse of the real space lattice vectors. This can be done using the formula bi = 2π(aj x ak) / (ai ⋅ (aj x ak)), where ai are the real space lattice vectors and bi are the reciprocal lattice vectors.

4. What is the significance of the Brillouin zone in reciprocal space?

The Brillouin zone is a region in reciprocal space that represents all possible wave vectors for a given crystal lattice. It is a key concept in solid state physics as it allows us to understand the electronic properties of materials and their response to external stimuli such as electric and magnetic fields.

5. How is the reciprocal lattice related to the diffraction pattern of a crystal?

The reciprocal lattice is directly related to the diffraction pattern of a crystal. The positions and intensities of the diffraction peaks in the pattern are determined by the reciprocal lattice vectors and the arrangement of atoms in the real space lattice. This allows us to use diffraction techniques to study the structure and properties of crystalline materials.