Find Amperage knowing # electrons and time

In summary, Brad is struggling with a homework question that requires him to find the voltage when given the resistance and the number of electrons passing through it in a certain time period. He is unsure how to find the current using the formula I = delta(Q)/delta(t), as it gives him a very large value. Daniel suggests considering the units of Amps and the number of electrons in a Coulomb. Brad is also confused about the notation "1.5E19" and asks for clarification.
Cyrad2
Hi, I've been having some problems with a homework question. In the problem it tells me the resistance of a resistor, and how many electrons pass through it in a given time. t = 5min. #e = 4.4E21. I need to find V.

So, I need to find I since I know R.

How do I do this? The only formula I could find was I = delta(Q)/delta(t). This gives me a huge value for I along the lines of 1.5E19, which can't be right, can it?

Thanks a bunch,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the units of Amps.
Coulombs per sec
How many electrons are in a Coulomb?

What's with "1.5E19"...?What does it mean...?

Daniel.

1. How do you calculate amperage using the number of electrons and time?

To calculate amperage, you need to use the equation I = Q/t, where I represents amperage, Q represents the number of electrons, and t represents time. This equation is also known as the current formula.

2. Can you explain the relationship between amperage, electrons, and time?

Amperage is a measure of the flow of electric charge, which is carried by electrons. The more electrons that flow in a given amount of time, the higher the amperage will be. Therefore, there is a direct relationship between amperage, electrons, and time.

3. What units are used to measure amperage?

Amperage is measured in amperes (A), which is a unit of electric current. One ampere is equal to the flow of one coulomb of charge per second.

4. How does increasing the number of electrons affect amperage?

Increasing the number of electrons will result in a higher amperage, as there will be more charge flowing in a given amount of time. This is because amperage is directly proportional to the number of electrons.

5. Is there a limit to the amperage that can be produced by a certain number of electrons?

Yes, there is a limit to the amperage that can be produced by a certain number of electrons. This limit is determined by the resistance of the material through which the electrons are flowing. The higher the resistance, the lower the amperage will be.