Integrating \sqrt{x-x^2} using Trig Substitution

• Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of \sqrt{x-x^2}. The attempt involved using a trig substitution and a u-substitution, but the integral could not be solved. However, it was suggested to restrict the range of theta and drop the modulus function, which could potentially lead to a solution. Another approach was also suggested, which involved completing the square and using a substitution.
autodidude

Homework Statement

Integrate [tex]\sqrt{x-x^2}[/tex]

The attempt

I did a trig substitution, letting [tex]cos(\theta)=\frac{x}{sqrt(x)}[/tex] and after some manipulation ended up with [tex]-2\int \ |sin(\theta)cos(\theta)|sin(\theta)cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex] which I have no idea how to integrate.

If I make a u-substitution and let u=cos(theta) rather than simplify to get the above, I get [tex]2\int \ u\sqrt{u^2-u^4}du[/tex] which I can't make any progress on either.

Physics news on Phys.org
autodidude said:
[tex]-2\int \ |sin(\theta)cos(\theta)|sin(\theta)cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
The original integral must be over a range in [0, 1]. This means you can restrict theta to [0, pi/2], allowing you to drop the modulus function, leaving sin2cos2. Can you solve it from there?

Last edited:
The more common way to do a problem like this is to complete the square inside the radical then substitute. I think it goes a bit easier that way.

@haruspex: Yeah, I tried that and when I got the incorrect answer, I went back and saw that I overlooked the fact that you need to insert the modulus wheen rooting a square. Will try again in case I made an error though.

@Dick: Thanks, I'll see where I can get with that.

Like Dick said. Look at it like this try to reformulate it so you get something like this:

[tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-(x-}\frac{1}{2})^{2}dx[/tex]

and substitute u : [tex]u=x-\frac{1}{2};dx=du[/tex]

and see what you can get.

try factorizing out the x... then use a substitution sqrt x = something... simplifies things alot!

1. What is the purpose of integrating sqrt(x-x^2)?

The purpose of integrating sqrt(x-x^2) is to find the area under the curve of the function. This can be useful in calculating probabilities or determining the volume of certain shapes.

2. How do you solve the integral of sqrt(x-x^2)?

To solve the integral of sqrt(x-x^2), you can use trigonometric substitution or complete the square and then use a trigonometric substitution. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or computer software to evaluate the integral numerically.

3. Can the integral of sqrt(x-x^2) be simplified?

Yes, the integral of sqrt(x-x^2) can be simplified by using trigonometric identities and substituting in values for the variables. However, the resulting answer may still involve trigonometric functions.

4. What is the domain of the function sqrt(x-x^2)?

The domain of sqrt(x-x^2) is restricted to values of x between 0 and 1, since the radicand (x-x^2) must be greater than or equal to 0 for the function to be defined.

5. How is the integral of sqrt(x-x^2) used in real-life applications?

The integral of sqrt(x-x^2) can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a circular cone or the probability of events in a normal distribution. It can also be used in physics and engineering to find the center of mass or centroid of certain shapes.