(Differential Equations) General and singular solutions

In summary, the student attempted to find a singular solution to a homework equation by setting y'=0 and checking if the solution fit into the general solution. This did not work because the left side became negative.
namegoeshere

Homework Statement

Find the general solution and any singular solutions to [itex](2xy^3+4x)y'=x^2y^2+y^2[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]2x(y^3+2)y'=y^2(x^2+1)[/itex]
[itex]\int\frac{y^3+2}{y^2}\,dy=\int\frac{x^2+1}{2x}\,dx[/itex]
[itex]\frac{y^3-4}{2y}=\frac{x^2+2\ln x}{4}+C[/itex]

Is this correct?
To find the singular solution, do I set [itex]y'=0[/itex] and see if its solutions fit into the general solution? i.e.

[itex]y'=\frac{x^2y^2+y^2}{2x^3+4x}=0 \Rightarrow y=0[/itex]​

Which in this example does not fit into the general solution since the left side becomes [itex]\frac{(0)^3-4}{2(0)}[/itex]. Therefore [itex]y=0[/itex] is a singular solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
namegoeshere said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution and any singular solutions to [itex](2xy^3+4x)y'=x^2y^2+y^2[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]2x(y^3+2)y'=y^2(x^2+1)[/itex]
[itex]\int\frac{y^3+2}{y^2}\,dy=\int\frac{x^2+1}{2x}\,dx[/itex]
[itex]\frac{y^3-4}{2y}=\frac{x^2+2\ln x}{4}+C[/itex]

Is this correct?

That looks OK, at least for ##x>0##.

To find the singular solution, do I set [itex]y'=0[/itex] and see if its solutions fit into the general solution? i.e.

[itex]y'=\frac{x^2y^2+y^2}{2x^3+4x}=0 \Rightarrow y=0[/itex]​

Which in this example does not fit into the general solution since the left side becomes [itex]\frac{(0)^3-4}{2(0)}[/itex]. Therefore [itex]y=0[/itex] is a singular solution?

In your solution, you divided by ##y^2##. That rules out finding a potential solution of ##y=0##. So you plug that into the original equation and see if it works. You don't set ##y'=0## to do it.

LCKurtz said:
That looks OK, at least for ##x>0##.
In your solution, you divided by ##y^2##. That rules out finding a potential solution of ##y=0##. So you plug that into the original equation and see if it works. You don't set ##y'=0## to do it.

Ah, I get it now. Based my singular solution attempt off the one given example we had, and admittedly what I tried didn't make intuitive sense to me. Thanks. :)

1. What is the difference between general and singular solutions in differential equations?

General solutions refer to the set of all possible solutions to a given differential equation. These solutions involve a constant of integration and can be obtained by applying the appropriate integration techniques. On the other hand, singular solutions are specific solutions that cannot be obtained through the general solution. They typically occur when the general solution does not satisfy certain boundary conditions or when there is a singularity in the equation.

2. How do you determine if a solution to a differential equation is general or singular?

To determine if a solution is general or singular, you can substitute the solution into the original differential equation and check if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a general solution. If it does not, then it is a singular solution. Another way is to look at the boundary conditions of the problem. If the solution satisfies the boundary conditions, then it is general. If not, then it is singular.

3. Can a differential equation have both general and singular solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a differential equation to have both general and singular solutions. This occurs when the general solution does not satisfy certain boundary conditions or when there is a singularity in the equation. In such cases, the general solution and the singular solution together form the complete solution to the differential equation.

4. How do you find the general solution to a first-order differential equation?

The general solution to a first-order differential equation can be found by separating variables, integrating both sides, and solving for the dependent variable. This process involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The resulting solution will include a constant of integration, which can be determined by applying boundary conditions or initial conditions.

5. When is it necessary to find a singular solution in a differential equation?

A singular solution is necessary when the general solution does not satisfy certain boundary conditions or when there is a singularity in the equation. In such cases, the general solution cannot fully describe the behavior of the system, and a singular solution is needed to complete the solution. This is especially important in physical applications, where the solution must satisfy certain physical constraints.