Form of function over interval

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where y is a function of x with two known boundary conditions, f(x=A)=C and f(x=B)=D, and the goal is to find the form of y as a function of x over the whole interval A<x<B. An additional condition is given, g(A,c)=g(c,d)=g(d,e)=g(e,B)=E, which can be solved using the variational principle and possibly Lagrange multipliers. However, there is a mistake in the problem description and the correct additional condition is g(y(A),y(B))=g(y(A),y(c))=g(y(c),y(d))=g(y(d),y(e))=g(y(e),y
JulieK
I know [itex]y[/itex] is a function of [itex]x[/itex] [i.e. [itex]y=f\left(x\right)[/itex]]
with two known boundary conditions, that is [itex]f\left(x=A\right)=C[/itex]
and [itex]f\left(x=B\right)=D[/itex] where [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex] are known constants
(please see figure). I do not know the form of this function and therefore
I am trying to find the form of [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] over the
whole interval [itex]A<x<B[/itex]. I have an additional condition that is if
I discretize the interval I can obtain the folowing relation

[itex]g(A,c)=g(c,d)=g(d,e)=g(e,B)=E[/itex]

where [itex]g[/itex] is a known function of the given arguments and [itex]E[/itex] is
a known constant. I think this problem can be solved by using the
variational principle possibly with the use of Lagrange multipliers.
I did some initial attempts but I am not sure about the results. Can
you suggest a method (variational or not) that can solve this problem
so that we can obtain the form of [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] over
the whole interval.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• aaaa.png
    aaaa.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
I should have added

[itex]g(A,B)=g(A,c)=g(c,d)=g(d,e)=g(e,B)=E[/itex]

You need to describe the relationship between f and g.

I made a mistake in the problem description. The additional condition is:

[itex]g(y(A),y(B))=g(y(A),y(c))=g(y(c),y(d))=g(y(d),y(e))=g(y(e),y(B))=E[/itex]

Sorry about this!

1. What is meant by "form of function over interval"?

Form of function over interval refers to the graph or shape that a function takes over a specific range or interval of values. It describes how the output of a function changes as the input varies within that interval.

2. How is the form of a function over interval determined?

The form of a function over interval is determined by the values of the function at different points within that interval. These values are plotted on a graph, and the resulting shape shows the form of the function over that interval.

3. What is the significance of studying the form of function over interval?

Studying the form of function over interval can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of a function. It can help in understanding how the function changes over a specific range of values and can aid in making predictions about its behavior in other intervals.

4. Can the form of a function over interval change?

Yes, the form of a function over interval can change depending on the function itself and the interval being considered. Different functions have different forms, and the form of a function can also vary as the interval changes.

5. How does the form of a function over interval relate to its derivative?

The derivative of a function over an interval describes the rate of change of the function over that interval. The form of a function is closely related to its derivative, as the derivative can provide information about the shape and direction of the function over that interval.