Model for spread of contagious disease.

In summary, the equation states that as the proportion of infected people increase, the number of contacts between infected and non-infected people will also increase.
elitewarr
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386085106.849207.jpg

Hello guys, I am quite unsure in how to start the modeling for population. If I define y as the number of infected persons and y' as the rate of spread is it correct? I see the number of contacts between infected and non infected persons to be equal to the number of infected persons. Otherwise I have no idea how to form the variables.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]p\in(0,1)[/itex] is the infected proportion, it may be convenient to model things in terms of [itex]x=\log\dfrac{p}{1-p}[/itex], as the latter (which is in one-to-one correspondence with the former) can take any real value.

It sounds like what is being described is that [itex]\dot p[/itex] is proportional to [itex]e^x[/itex], so say [itex]\dot p = \alpha e^x[/itex] for some [itex]\alpha>0[/itex].

Then we can compute [itex]\dot x e^x = \dfrac{d}{dt} e^x = \dfrac{(1-p)\dot p - p(-\dot p)}{p^2} = \dfrac{\dot p}{p^2}= \dfrac{\alpha e^x}{p^2}[/itex], and so [itex]\dot x = \dfrac{\alpha}{p^2}[/itex]. One can further verify that [itex]p = \dfrac{1}{1+e^{-x}}[/itex], and so [itex]\dot x = \alpha(1+e^{-x})^2[/itex].

From the above equation, it's easy to see that:
- [itex]x[/itex] is strictly increasing over time if [itex]-\infty<x<\infty[/itex], and therefore [itex]p[/itex] is strictly increasing if [itex]0<p<1[/itex].
- Therefore, [itex]x[/itex] must converge to something finite or infinite. It's easy to see that it can't converge to anything finite over time. Therefore [itex]x\to\infty[/itex]. Thus [itex]p\to 1[/itex] as long as [itex]0<p\leq 1[/itex].

The only remaining case of [itex]p[/itex] starting at [itex]0[/itex] is easy to consider on its own.

Oh whoops, it's simpler than that. Disregard.

Number of contacts between infected and uninfected should be proportional to [itex]p(1-p)[/itex] maybe?

http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.6376

Mathematical models of epidemic dynamics offer significant insight into predicting and controlling infectious diseases. The dynamics of a disease model generally follow a susceptible, infected, and recovered (SIR) model, with some standard modifications. In this paper, we extend the work of Munz et.al (2009) on the application of disease dynamics to the so-called "zombie apocalypse", and then apply the identical methods to influenza dynamics. Unlike Munz et.al (2009), we include data taken from specific depictions of zombies in popular culture films and apply Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) methods on improved dynamical representations of the system. To demonstrate the usefulness of this approach, beyond the entertaining example, we apply the identical methodology to Google Trend data on influenza to establish infection and recovery rates. Finally, we discuss the use of the methods to explore hypothetical intervention policies regarding disease outbreaks.

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you guys. But I think the simpler version should suffice according to the logistic equation.

And.. I don't rawly understand what you wrote economicsnerd haha.. My knowledge isn't that advanced yet..

1. What is a "Model for spread of contagious disease?"

A "Model for spread of contagious disease" is a mathematical representation of how a disease may spread through a population. It takes into account factors such as the infectiousness of the disease, the susceptibility of individuals in the population, and the interactions between individuals.

2. How are models for spread of contagious diseases created?

Models for spread of contagious diseases are created using data on the disease, such as transmission rates and incubation periods, as well as information on the population being studied. These models are then tested and refined using real-world data to improve their accuracy.

3. What are the benefits of using a model for spread of contagious disease?

A model for spread of contagious disease can help scientists and public health officials understand how a disease may spread and predict potential outcomes. It can also be used to test different interventions and strategies for controlling the spread of the disease.

4. What are the limitations of a model for spread of contagious disease?

Models for spread of contagious diseases are based on assumptions and simplifications of real-world scenarios, so they may not always accurately reflect the spread of a disease. They also rely on accurate and up-to-date data, which may not always be available.

5. How can models for spread of contagious disease be used in public health decision making?

Models for spread of contagious disease can be used to inform public health decisions and policies, such as implementing social distancing measures or vaccination campaigns. They can also help identify potential hotspots for disease spread and guide resource allocation.