(Complex analysis). Show that the inequality holds

In summary, to show that the inequality is true, we can use the triangle inequality to find the maximum and minimum possible values for the modulus of the numerator and denominator separately. We find that both have a modulus between 4 and 12, meaning their ratio cannot be greater than 3. Therefore, the inequality holds for all z such that |z|=2.
richyw

Homework Statement

Show that the inequality[tex]\left|\frac{z^2-2z+4}{3x+10}\right|\leq3[/tex]holds for all [itex] z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]|z|=2[/itex]

Homework Equations

Triangle inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to go about this. the x is throwing me off. Should I write it out with [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
richyw said:

Homework Statement

Show that the inequality[tex]\left|\frac{z^2-2z+4}{3x+10}\right|\leq3[/tex]holds for all [itex] z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]|z|=2[/itex]

Homework Equations

Triangle inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to go about this. the x is throwing me off. Should I write it out with [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]?
Could it be a typo and they really intended x to be z? That x really looks out of place to me.

I don't know if it is a typo. If it is not then I could say that

[tex]3x+10=Re(3z+10)[/tex][tex]|Re(3z+10)|\leq | 3z+10 | = 3|z|+10=16[/tex]

on the top I say that [tex]|z^2-2z+4|\leq |z|^2+2|z|+4 = 16[/tex]

not sure how that would help me...

Must be a type: suppose x => -10/3 and y => sqrt(4-(10/3)^2)* i with z=x+yi then the denominator heads towards zero and the fraction goes to inf.

An outline of a solution, assuming the d should be a z.

Think about what the numerator and the denominator do to the circle mod z=2.

The denominator converts it to a circle of radius 6, 10 units shifted to the right. Thus the distance from the origin ranges from 4 to 12.

The numerator is a bit more tricky. Thinking of it as (z-1)^2 +3 you we that it first shifts the circle to the left one unit (making the distance to origin range from 1 to 3). Then you square it, which meAns the distance ranges from 1 to 9, with these extrema being on the real axis. Then you add 3 to get a distance range of 4 to 12.

Thus both numerator and denominator have modulus between 4 and 12, so their ratio cannot be greater than 3

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It involves the study of complex-valued functions, their derivatives and integrals, and their properties.

2. What is the inequality in complex analysis?

The inequality in complex analysis refers to various inequalities involving complex numbers, such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the triangle inequality.

3. Why is it important to show that the inequality holds?

Showing that the inequality holds is important because it helps us understand the properties and relationships of complex numbers and functions. It also allows us to make accurate calculations and proofs in complex analysis.

4. What are some common techniques for proving the inequality in complex analysis?

Some common techniques for proving the inequality in complex analysis include using algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, and the properties of complex numbers and functions.

5. Can you give an example of a proof that shows the inequality holds?

Sure, one example would be using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to prove the triangle inequality for complex numbers. This involves using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to show that the sum of the squares of two complex numbers is less than or equal to the square of their sum.