Can You Believe It? Michael Crook and the 'Forsake The Troops' Hoax

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, Michael Crook is the guy that owns SMIS, a website that puts up hate sites and extracts money from offended parties to have the sites removed. Fox News Channel aired an interview with Crook in May, but he only has until November 2006 to raise the ransom for Toby, the dog he ate.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is this for real?

Some of you may remember an interview on Hannity and Colmes with Michael Crook. Crook was the owner of "Forsake The Troops", a website dedicated to trashing military personnel's intelligence and courage and calling them leeches on the American public. Hannity and Colmes pretty much skewered the guy on national TV, certainly a well-deserved humiliation.

Appearing on a Fox News Channel talk show, naturally there were many conservatives who were disgusted by Crook and his website. Good news. An Air Force group was able to buy the domain name and space from the web hosting company that hosted Crook's site and replace it with a friendlier site. The web hosting company even apologized:

We don’t normally air business matters with clients in the public, as we believe in respecting clients’ privacy, however, Forsake The Troops, led by Scott Vogel and Laurie Vogel, chose to bring their business out in the public by way of threats and obscenities towards us. We find it tasteless that they felt that the fact the owner of SMIS has a biracial child is something to be used against him.

We apologize to the many people who were offended, and thank those who wrote into complain, giving us the documentation to show that the Internet community did not appreciate their presence.

Furthermore, Forsake The Troops has chosen to refuse to honor an outstanding bill for some services. The money isn’t of concern to us, though it costs money to run the servers, we have many customers who are good, decent people and pay their bills on time.

Of course, the website was put up again, except with .net instead of .info, since SMIS (Small Mike Internet Service) had sold the site out from under the delinquent originator. But, fortunately, the financial problems of the evil person(s) putting up the site allowed SMIS to sell that domain name and site as well to a different offended party.

And the CitizensAgainstTheTroops domain name and site to a different offended party.

And the ForsakeThePolice to a different offended party.

And the ForsakeTheFirefighters to a different offended party.

And the various white supremist hate sites were taken off the Internet by various offended parties willing to buy out the offending domain name and web space to have the various sites removed.

Michael Crook is the guy that owns SMIS! He puts up hate sites and extracts money from offended parties to have the sites removed.

Next thing someone will tell me is that the "Save Toby" website is really a hoax. OH, MY GOD IT'S AUGUST ALREADY! NOOOOOOOOOO! TOOOOOOOBBBBEEEEEEEEE!

Whew, my bad, I thought his deadline had already expired. :redface: Turns out we have until November 2006 to raise the ransom before Toby's eaten.

Edit: Hannity and Colmes should be as embarassed as 60 Minutes was. This was exposed as a hoax in February and they aired the interview in May. Museum of Hoaxes Not exposed widely enough to prevent Crook from cashing in on his TV appearance, though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bob, the idiot thrives off the attention. Well, that's the whole goal of his deception: attention and money. The best thing we could do is ignore him.

anyone else find it horribly ironic his name is 'crook'?

Why do people watch Fox News in the first place? I took it off my channel list a LONG time ago. I can't stand the station's blatant sensationalism.

dduardo said:
Why do people watch Fox News in the first place? I took it off my channel list a LONG time ago. I can't stand the station's blatant sensationalism.

You don't like sensationalism? What, did you throw your TV set out?

Thats a pretty damn funny hoax though! Theres a good deal of liberals just like that guy so it played off everyones basic knowledge here in the US. :rofl:

Last edited:

1. What is the 'Forsake The Troops' Hoax?

The 'Forsake The Troops' Hoax was a false claim made by Michael Crook, a self-proclaimed internet troll, in which he allegedly created a website encouraging people to send hate mail and death threats to soldiers serving in Iraq. It was later revealed that Crook fabricated the website and the controversy as a means to gain attention and stir up controversy.

2. How did Michael Crook's hoax gain attention?

Crook's hoax gained attention through various media outlets as well as online discussion forums. He also used social media platforms to share and promote the false claims, which quickly spread and sparked outrage among many individuals.

3. What was the impact of the 'Forsake The Troops' Hoax?

The impact of the hoax was significant, causing widespread anger and disgust among the public, particularly towards Michael Crook. It also raised questions about the credibility and responsibility of online media, as well as the potential harm that false information can cause.

4. How was the 'Forsake The Troops' Hoax debunked?

The hoax was debunked through investigations by various media outlets and individuals who were able to uncover evidence that the website and claims were fabricated by Michael Crook. Additionally, Crook himself eventually admitted to creating the hoax and apologized for his actions.

5. What can we learn from the 'Forsake The Troops' Hoax?

The hoax serves as a reminder to critically evaluate information and sources before accepting them as truth, especially in the age of social media and online communication. It also highlights the importance of responsible and ethical behavior in online interactions and the potential consequences of spreading false information.