Where Do I Start with First-Order Linear ODEs?

• Thread starter decemberdays86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear Ode
In summary, Tide suggests looking for an integrating factor. December suggests solving for the integrating factor using chain rule.
decemberdays86
First-Order Linear ODE help?

This is my first post here. I'm still getting used to LATEX syntax so please forgive any mistakes. My question is on a simple differential equation... it doesn't appear to be exact or homogeneous... where do I start?

thanks in advance.

DD86

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Look for an integrating factor.

[tex]y'-4xy+2yln(y)/x=0[/tex]

[tex]M(x,y)= -4xy \quad and \quad N(x,y)=2yln(y)/x[/tex]

err.. I'm taking Calc 3 and diff eq at the same time so I hope my partials are right...

[tex]M_{y}=-4x \quad and \quad N_{x}=0[/tex]

IntegFactor is defined as [tex]I(x) = e^{\int (M_{y} - N_{x})/N dx} [/tex] according to my notes. yeah I'm still stuck. Could someone verify the partial derivatives though?

EDIT: I now have [tex]y'+2y(-2x+ln(y)/x)=0[/tex] which looks nicer but I am still at a loss for what to do next...

What integrating factor am I looking for?

Last edited:
December, need to put it into the form:

[tex]Mdx+Ndy=0[/tex]

Thus for:

[tex]y^{'}-4xy+\frac{2yln(y)}{x}=0[/tex]

we'd have:

[tex](2yln(y)-4x^2y)dx+xdy=0[/tex]

But that's not happening for me either. Can't see a way to solve it.

Tide . . . how about another hint? Somebody else too is ok.

Edit: Oh yea, it's not linear because of the ln(y) term.

Last edited:
DecemberDays86, This really doesn't have to do with anything, but, do you post on bodybuilding.com also?

thanks for your input saltdog. My prof seems to like asking questions where you need to recognize "chain-ruled" things. For example, I have to get used to identifying a product of two terms as the derivative of some compossite function... not cool hehe

How about this?

Divide both sides of your equation by y, note that y'/y = (ln y)', multiply both sides by x and finally arrive at

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} \left( x^2 \ln y \right) =4 x^3[/tex]

then see where you can go from there!

Tide said:
How about this?

Divide both sides of your equation by y, note that y'/y = (ln y)', multiply both sides by x and finally arrive at

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} \left( x^2 \ln y \right) =4 x^3[/tex]

then see where you can go from there!

Ok, I get it now. Thanks Tide. You too December . . . PF rocks. :smile:

smart trick Tide!

here's my mess of a solution:

[tex]xy'+4x^2y-2ylny=0[/tex]
[tex]y'-4xy=(-2ylny)/x[/tex]

[tex]Let \quad y = e^{g(x)} \implies y'=g'e^{g(x)}[/tex]

[tex]g'e^{g(x)}-4xe^{g(x)}= \frac {-2g(x)e^{g(x)}}{x}[/tex]

divide out e^g(x) and rearrange

[tex]g'+\frac {2}{x}g=4x, Let \quad P(x) = 2/x \quad and \quad Q(x)=4x[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = e^{- \int P(x) dx}[\int Q(x)e^{\int P(x) dx} dx + C][/tex]

[tex]\frac {1}{x^2}[x^4+C] \implies g(x)=x^2 + \frac {C}{x^2}[/tex]

QUESTION: am I allowed to call the "c/x^2" term just another constant?

back-sub [tex]y(x) = e^{g(x)} = e^{(x^2)}*e^{\frac {C}{x^2}}[/tex]

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:

1. What is a first-order linear ODE?

A first-order linear ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is an equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative. It can be written in the form of y' + P(x)y = Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are known functions of x.

2. How do you solve a first-order linear ODE?

To solve a first-order linear ODE, you can use the method of integrating factors. This involves multiplying the entire equation by an integrating factor that is determined based on the given functions P(x) and Q(x). The resulting equation can then be integrated to find the general solution.

3. What is the difference between a first-order linear ODE and a second-order linear ODE?

The main difference between a first-order and a second-order linear ODE is the number of derivatives involved. A first-order ODE only involves the first derivative of the unknown function, while a second-order ODE involves the second derivative.

4. Can first-order linear ODEs be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, first-order linear ODEs can be used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some common applications of first-order linear ODEs in science and engineering?

First-order linear ODEs have many applications in science and engineering, including predicting the growth or decay of populations, modeling chemical reactions, analyzing electrical circuits, and studying the flow of fluids. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to model various phenomena.