Domain and range of this function?

In summary, the function is undefined when the denominator is zero, so the domain and range are not clear.
oray

Homework Statement

(1/(x+7))-5
find the domain and range.

im having trouble graphing this one on my calculator, because when i zoom out the graph looks a lot different than when i zoom in. i think i have an answer though, so i need a quick check.

domain: none (infinite)
rangE: 0 to -10?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try with no calculator.

Can the denominator equal 0? Is a function defined with a 0 denominator?

Set your denominator equal to 0, solve for x.

Range: R

rocomath said:
Try with no calculator.

Can the denominator equal 0? Is a function defined with a 0 denominator?

Set your denominator equal to 0, solve for x.

Range: R

ok.
so how do i calculate the range without a calculator?

BUMP! GAH i have 24 minutes to complete this :(

Note, as rocomath said, the denominator, and hence the function, is undefined when it is zero. What does that tell you about the possible values of x, ie. the domain?

You don't need a calculator to figure out the range. Let [tex]y = \frac{1}{x+7} - 5[/tex]. We want to know the possible values of y. Start by expressing x in terms of y. Once you have done that, look the resulting expression. What values of y are not allowed? The range of the function would then be R\{y} (all real numbers excluding those values of y which is not allowed).

If you really care, the whole point is you can't divide by zero...so we do not want
[itex] \frac{1}{x+7} = \frac{1}{0}[/itex]. That's what he meant by setting the bottom equal to zero, since we see that [itex] x + 7 = 0 [/itex] when x = -7. Thus our domain is
all real numbers not including -7.

To find the range, reverse the function. Solve for x as a function of y. Now, what values can y have that won't give a "division by 0"?

(What you are reallying doing is finding the inverse function- that reverses "domain" and "range".)

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, or independent variables, for that function. It is the set of values that you can plug into the function to get a valid output.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you must consider any restrictions on the input values. These can include restrictions due to the mathematical operations used in the function, restrictions on square roots or logarithms, or restrictions based on the context of the problem.

3. Why is it important to know the domain of a function?

Knowing the domain of a function is important because it tells you which values are valid inputs for that function. It also helps you avoid errors when solving equations or graphing the function.

4. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or dependent variables, for that function. It is the set of values that the function can produce based on the given input values.

5. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can either use algebraic methods or graphing techniques. Algebraically, you can solve for the output values by plugging in different input values and creating a table or mapping diagram. Graphically, you can plot points on a graph and identify the range from the y-values of those points.