I'm making ham stew and I sprinkle salt on top of the liquid. Will is disperse?

In summary, the factors affecting the dispersion of salt in a mixture include stirring, temperature, and initial placement of the salt. Diffusion is slow, but convective flow can help disperse the salt ions, especially if there is a significant temperature gradient. Sprinkling the salt in different places can also aid in dispersing it more evenly.
pa5tabear
What are the factors affecting dispersion of salt in a mixture?

Obviously stirring will guarantee effective mixing, but I'm wondering how much I could expect the salt to disperse throughout the stew if I were to not touch it.

The stew is near/at boiling (100 C), but it is not vigorously boiling, so I don't expect any convective mass transport of the salt. I expect diffusion alone to drive the movement of the salt ions.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Diffusion is very slow (you can probably neglect it for reasonable cooking times) - even without visible boiling, you have convective flow, at least if heat comes from the bottom.

pa5tabear said:
What are the factors affecting dispersion of salt in a mixture?

Obviously stirring will guarantee effective mixing, but I'm wondering how much I could expect the salt to disperse throughout the stew if I were to not touch it.

The stew is near/at boiling (100 C), but it is not vigorously boiling, so I don't expect any convective mass transport of the salt. I expect diffusion alone to drive the movement of the salt ions.

what he said. diffusion is slow, convection will dominate as long as the temperature gradient is big enough. also you can sprinkle the salt at different places so that the initial conditions are more dispersed.

1. Will the salt disperse evenly in the stew?

Salt will disperse evenly in a liquid due to diffusion. As the stew cooks, the salt particles will move from areas of high concentration (where you sprinkled it on top) to areas of low concentration throughout the stew, ensuring even distribution.

2. How does salt affect the taste of the stew?

Salt is a flavor enhancer and can bring out the natural flavors of the other ingredients in the stew. It can also help balance out any bitterness or acidity in the stew.

3. Does the amount of salt used affect how it disperses in the stew?

Yes, the amount of salt used can affect how it disperses in the stew. Too much salt may cause it to clump together and not disperse evenly, while too little salt may result in uneven distribution throughout the stew.

4. Can I add more salt later if needed?

Yes, you can add more salt later if needed. However, it is best to start with a small amount and gradually add more as needed, tasting the stew as you go to ensure you do not over-salt it.

5. Will the salt affect the chemistry of the stew?

Adding salt to the stew will affect its chemistry by altering the concentration of ions in the liquid. This can affect the texture and flavor of the stew, as well as its ability to retain moisture.

Back