Calculating the Volume of Water in a Goldfish Bowl through Solids of Revolution

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Yes, the radius of the cross-section at any given y-coordinate is simply the radius of the sphere (10cm).
lionely

Homework Statement

A goldfish bowl is a glass sphere of inside diameter 20cm. Calculate the volume of water it contains when the maximum depth is 18cm.

The attempt at a solution

I don't really have an idea of how to attempt this, all I did so far was a draw a little sketch of the bowl and put in the dimensions

Hmm.. should I just find the volume of the sphere, sketch the cross-section of it, and then try to use the principles of solids of revolution to find the volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

A goldfish bowl is a glass sphere of inside diameter 20cm. Calculate the volume of water it contains when the maximum depth is 18cm.

The attempt at a solution

I don't really have an idea of how to attempt this, all I did so far was a draw a little sketch of the bowl and put in the dimensions

Hmm.. should I just find the volume of the sphere, sketch the cross-section of it, and then try to use the principles of solids of revolution to find the volume?

Consider the vertical cross-section of the bowl. Let the centre of the bowl be the origin (0,0). y-coordinates range from -10 to +8.

Now consider the horizontal circular cross section of a disc of water taken at a certain y-coordinate. Find its radius via Pythagoras theorem, and hence its area.

Hence figure out the volume of an infinitesimally small cylinder having that cross-section and a vertical height dy.

Now do the integration, imposing the correct bounds for y.

Umm wouldn't the radius be 10cm, because the diameter of the bowl is 20cm?

Cause maybe I drew my diagram badly I'm not seeing how I can use Pythagoras ' theorem.
:S

lionely said:
Umm wouldn't the radius be 10cm, because the diameter of the bowl is 20cm?

Cause maybe I drew my diagram badly I'm not seeing how I can use Pythagoras ' theorem.
:S

Right through the centre (at y = 0), yes the radius of the cross-section would be 10cm.

But what about other y values. Hint: think of a right triangle, the hypotenuse being the constant radius of the bowl (10cm), the vertical height being y and the horizontal base being the radius of the cross-section.

Is the radius 6cm?

lionely said:
Is the radius 6cm?

Huh? The radius of the horizontal cross-section varies continuously depending on the level you're taking it at.

Did you make a proper sketch?

Hm... Maybe I didn't on my diagram 10 is the hypotenuse and 8 is the perpendicular height.

lionely said:
Hm... Maybe I didn't on my diagram 10 is the hypotenuse and 8 is the perpendicular height.

10cm is always the hypotenuse.

y varies from -10 (bottom) to +8 (top of water level). Do you understand this?

8cm is only the height when you're considering the area of the top surface of the water (y = 8). At that point, the radius is ##\sqrt{10^2 - 8^2} = 6cm##. Agree?

At the bottom of the bowl (y = -10), the radius is zero, because the bottom is just a point, not a circle. Agree?

The radius of the cross-section right through the level of y = 0 (center of the sphere) is 10cm (simply the radius of the sphere). Agree?

Now you can take the cross section of water at *any* water level between the bottom and the top, not just those "special" levels. Your job is to find an expression, in terms of y, for the radius of this cross-section. Can you do this?

Remember, what you get will be in terms of y - it'll have a y in the expression, not just a number.

Last edited:

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the integral of a function. It is essentially the reverse of differentiation, and is used to find the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a quantity over a given range.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of mathematical problems, especially in physics, engineering, and economics. It can also help us understand the behavior and relationships between different variables.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

The most common methods of integration are the substitution method, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These methods are used to simplify and solve integrals that cannot be solved using basic rules.

4. How can I improve my integration skills?

The best way to improve your integration skills is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different methods of integration. Working through a variety of integration problems and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

5. Can integration be used in real life applications?

Yes, integration is used in various real life applications such as calculating areas and volumes, determining the work done by a force, and predicting future trends in economics and science. It is a valuable tool for solving real world problems and making predictions.