Register to reply

Verification of Conservation of Energy

Share this thread:
darkchild
Mar4-14, 05:26 PM
P: 150
How is conservation of energy experimentally verified if some energy is dissipated, for example, as heat in air friction or friction with a road?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
Vanadium 50
Mar4-14, 06:46 PM
Mentor
P: 16,105
By doing other, more controlled experiments. Making a bad measurement is not part of the scientific method.
darkchild
Mar4-14, 06:52 PM
P: 150
Ok. I guess I don't understand the extent to which experiments can be controlled. How would one measure energy lost via friction with a road?

russ_watters
Mar4-14, 07:04 PM
Mentor
P: 22,224
Verification of Conservation of Energy

In a lab environment, with a dnyo or sort of road treadmill.
Nugatory
Mar4-14, 07:22 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,420
Quote Quote by darkchild View Post
Ok. I guess I don't understand the extent to which experiments can be controlled. How would one measure energy lost via friction with a road?
The energy "lost" to friction shows up as heat somewhere in the system. Thus, we need to design the experimental apparatus in such a way that any heat leaving the exoerimental apparatus is detected and counted; usually we do this by very carefully monitoring the temperature.

For example, a propeller turning in a container of water doesn't appear to conserve energy. We keep on adding energy to it by turning the shaft, yet its kinetic energy remains stubbornly fixed as it keeps turning at the same speed. But if we also measure the temperature of the water in the container (and insulate the container well enough that it doesn't leak heat out into the environment) we'll find the "missing" energy in the increasing heat of the water.

Register to reply