What do you do when your drunk and what are the benefits of alcohol?

• Thread starter Sting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, the person said that alcohol is great for relieving stress and helping people relax, but it can also be bad if people lose control and do things they wouldn't do sober. They said that they quit drinking when they turned 21 and that they generally find that 1-2 drinks is the limit.
Sting
I haven't posted a thread in long time so I guess one wouldn't hurt.

Lately, I've been consuming A LOT of alcohol and according to people around me, I've done some strange stuff after my 8th screwdriver:

- I worked out a problem in Differential Equations and I worked it out CORRECTLY (and this was before I took the class this previous Fall)

- I recited the alphabet forwards and backwards in the correct order.

- I was able to perform lengthy arithmetic problems in my head.

- I recited the Greek alphabet backwards

- I figured out how to work the VCR setting on our big screen (after installers screwed it up).

So what strange things have you done while drunk?

I think alcohol is great. I don't consider myself a happy person but I am able to laugh (even at myself) after drinking a bit. Personally it helps me forget the stresses of everyday life and when I feel down, some vodka or some gin usually puts me in a good mood.

And the best part is that I rarely get hangovers or sickness from drinking.

What's your view?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fumes alone can make me ill! I've never touched the stuff, and I'm never gonna. :smile:

Alcohol affects different people in different ways. I am like you, I have a high tolerance to alcohol and do not suffer hangovers. I do some of my best work when I've been drinking, of course I don't work on heavy machinery. :wink: I'm a pretty boring drunk, but I do talk WAY too much. If I ever post anything approaching 10,000 characters, you can assume I've had a few too many.

IMO, when a person is drunk, it is a reflection of what they really are like inside, as opposed to them becoming something they are not. When they're sober, they are able to consciously(subconscioulsy?) control what they say and do, but when they're drunk, they lose this outer control and their true personality surfaces. Just my opinion (I've known a lot of drinkers).

Sounds like you are pretty much the same person with or without the liquor.

Alcohol is very, very bad for me. When I was much younger and wilder, a favorite of mine was to ride motorcycles in the desert while being really, really drunk. I would go really fast, and then I would get really hurt. Of course, having a bunch of girls in bikinis to tend my wounds was always pretty cool. :wink:

Except for only a handful of evenings, I quit drinking when I turned 21. Blood sugar problems now ensure that my abstinence continues.

Generally, I find that a drink or two can help a stressed or repressed person relax a bit, and actual improve that person's ability to do things. The trick and the trap is all in keeping it to 1-2 drinks.

Once I had maybe 1 or 2 of beers...and I was able to control the outcome of rolling dice by imagining a red or green light to signal when to release the dice. (or tried to anyway who knows) Dice were shaken in a backgammon dice cup then released when light changed to green. Rolled double 6's 5 times in a row. (1/6)^10 = 1 out of 60,466,176 chances

As far as alcohol goes, do yourself a favor, when you get a bottle of liquor, pour it down the toilet, then hit yourself in the head with the empty bottle and bingo, you get the exact same effect.

i've learned so much about some of my friends when they're drunk the last couple of months. one girl is the quietest person you'd have ever met, she's a good student, and no man alive meets her expectations. when she drinks, to put it nicely, she's a total slut.

also I've seen many horrible things at parties. at least one friend will show up with their boy/girlfriend, and as soon as they leave, they'll start goin at it with some random person. it's absolutely horrible to see this, and I'm still in high school.

so one of my new year's resolutions was to not drink for 6 months (after that it's college time, let the binge drinking begin!). beer (and other stuff) helps me break out of my shell when I'm with other people, because I'm shy and all that stuff. now I'm getting better at mingling and everything, now that i know more people better, perhaps i should thank alcohol for that. and i don't mind losing control of myself occasionally. but I'm a sleepy drunk, and after seeing the shiat that some of these kids do, i don't want to be seen like that, hell i don't even want to risk acting like that.

alcohol can be great if you keep control of yourself, but if you lose control, it's terrible.

So far i haven't gotten drunk yet, so i can't tell you anything about that.

One effect i get from downing alcoholic stuff is that i Fall in love(literally) with every girl i see, that's bad fer me 'cause not only do i have to control what i say and do, i have to stop myself from confessing my love for every single girl there. Believe me, that's extremely hard to do once you reach the 4th bottle.

Last edited:
I don't drink often, but when I do, I like to do a good job of it. And then I tend to sit in the corner and laugh.

i get more philosophical...oh wait, maybe i was slightly intoxicated when i posted here?

I drank a lot of beer recently after being notified by the girl I went out a week ago that "she don't feel the same way." sigh...

But 2 bottles doesn't have much effect on me since I drank lots when I was young.

Originally posted by Kerrie
i get more philosophical...oh wait, maybe i was slightly intoxicated when i posted here?
Intoxicated? Probably...

Slightly? No chance in hell!

I babble incessantly like an idiot. Intelligently mind you-I make sense, but I talk endlessly about nothing of interest. Which is ironic, because I'm not really into small talk. I have a lower tolerance these day though, so I don't drink that much. Too many trips on the magic porcelain bus have done me in. Now I keep it to 1 or 2 drink cap, and it's usually wine instead of beer. My liver will thank me some day.

Anything under 10% is not worth drinking. That's why I hate beer. It just makes me go to the toilet. I never managed to get drunk like not knowing what happened the other night or where my pants were. Even after mixing everything from beer to champaigne, vodka, gin and wine "I" was still there. I just get even quiter than I already am and if someone provokes me I also get philosofical. I start not to care. So my mind works more freelly. Latelly I managed not to care even when I'm sober so... it's the same with or without the alcohol.

Originally posted by Zantra
I babble incessantly like an idiot. Intelligently mind you-I make sense, but I talk endlessly about nothing of interest.
Kinda like me. On new year's eve I was telling people about the virtues of the Queensland water python, which they seemed to find quite funny.

Yes, I ramble a lot (unless I'm REALLY upset about something).

Two days ago, I had quite a bit of vodka and I was rambling to my mother about the Kreb's Citric Acid Cycle and the difference between the basic forces of nature.

IMO, when a person is drunk, it is a reflection of what they really are like inside, as opposed to them becoming something they are not. When they're sober, they are able to consciously(subconscioulsy?) control what they say and do, but when they're drunk, they lose this outer control and their true personality surfaces. Just my opinion (I've known a lot of drinkers).

My parents were telling me the same thing. In fact, they exploited my intoxicated state to find out what secrets I'm keeping from them. According to my sister, I confessed that I liked one girl and that I really love school even though it's stressful as hell. I'm sure there's more I confessed but I probably don't want to know :smile:

Sounds like you are pretty much the same person with or without the liquor.

lol, that's a scary thought :wink:

I seven balled a mate at pool, was'nt proper drunk mind you, vision was just starting to go. I completed a little wooden puzzle, took me twice as long to do it but none of my mates could do it and some of them where sober, but i can't remember most of what i get up to.

What is the science behind being drunk?

The science behind being drunk is related to the chemical reactions that occur in the brain when alcohol is consumed. Alcohol affects the levels of neurotransmitters in the brain, causing changes in mood, behavior, and cognitive function.

Why do people drink alcohol?

People drink alcohol for various reasons, including socializing, relaxation, and stress relief. Some may also drink to cope with negative emotions or to enhance positive feelings.

What happens to your body when you are drunk?

When you are drunk, alcohol is quickly absorbed into your bloodstream and affects various organs in your body. It can impair coordination, judgment, and decision-making abilities, and also cause dehydration and damage to the liver and brain.

What are the potential benefits of alcohol?

Moderate alcohol consumption has been linked to potential health benefits, such as reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke. However, these benefits may vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.

What should you do when you are drunk?

If you have had too much to drink, the best thing to do is to stop drinking and stay hydrated. It is also important to avoid driving or engaging in activities that require coordination and concentration. Getting some rest and eating a nutritious meal can also help alleviate some of the effects of alcohol.