Oregon State University - Engineering and Physics

In summary, Ivan Seeking liked OSU's physics program but found it to be "solid." He has worked as a technician for the Physics department after graduation, and generally found OSU to be "beautiful." He does not have any contact with people in the engineering physics program, but he does think the interface between the engineering and physics departments was good.
pierce
I searched the board but i didnt find a lot of information concerning this school. i am considering going there as they

1. have an engineering physics program (not accredited)
2. are doing several things in the field of nanotechnology and alternative energy.
3. have a Land, Sea, Air, and Space Grant.
4. have an initative program to be in the TOP 25 ( http://engr.oregonstate.edu/top25/ ) of the nations engineering programs.
5. have accepted me for admission :approve:

are there any graduates from this school on the board? anyone familiar with the program or school?

(other schools i am considering are UC Davis, Berkeley,and Santa Cruz for MechEng, Eng Phys, and Applied Phys, respectively) i know these are better schools, but not necessarily better for me ( "me"[/URL] ).

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking and I are both grads in Physics from OSU and both of us still live in the area. My degree is now 30years old so most (all?) of my profs are retired or dead. I worked as a technician for the Physics department after graduation, In all I spend nearly 15yrs (74-88) as a student or employee at OSU.

I liked it. The programs are solid and the profs are good. (within the normal variation of course :smile: ) The OSU campus is beautiful and pretty well laid out. It is big enough that you may need a bike to get between classes if you are unfortunate enough to have successive classes at the opposite ends of the campus. Generally that is not a problem as the core buildings are centrally located.

Corvallis is still a pretty small town (~50,000) which can be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for. It is about 60miles from the coast and 80miles from the Cascade Mountains, so you have a lot of recreational opportunities.

Integral said:
Ivan Seeking and I are both grads in Physics from OSU and both of us still live in the area. My degree is now 30years old so most (all?) of my profs are retired or dead. I worked as a technician for the Physics department after graduation, In all I spend nearly 15yrs (74-88) as a student or employee at OSU.

I liked it. The programs are solid and the profs are good. (within the normal variation of course :smile: ) The OSU campus is beautiful and pretty well laid out. It is big enough that you may need a bike to get between classes if you are unfortunate enough to have successive classes at the opposite ends of the campus. Generally that is not a problem as the core buildings are centrally located.

Corvallis is still a pretty small town (~50,000) which can be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for. It is about 60miles from the coast and 80miles from the Cascade Mountains, so you have a lot of recreational opportunities.

thank you very much for your input. I am hoping ivan will weigh in also.

when you were there, had they implemented the engineering physics program, and did you have any contact with ppl in this program? if so, how was the interface between the engineering and physics departments?

What programs does Oregon State University offer in Engineering and Physics?

Oregon State University offers a variety of programs in Engineering and Physics, including undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Civil and Construction Engineering, and Nuclear Engineering. It also offers graduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Nuclear Science and Engineering.

Are there any research opportunities available for students in the Engineering and Physics programs at Oregon State University?

Yes, there are many research opportunities available for students in the Engineering and Physics programs at Oregon State University. Students can participate in research projects with faculty members, work on independent research projects, and have the opportunity to present their research at conferences.

What resources and facilities are available to students in the Engineering and Physics programs at Oregon State University?

Oregon State University has state-of-the-art facilities and resources for students in the Engineering and Physics programs. These include laboratories, research centers, computing facilities, and specialized equipment for hands-on learning and research.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Engineering and Physics programs at Oregon State University?

Graduates of the Engineering and Physics programs at Oregon State University have a wide range of career opportunities. They can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, technology, and healthcare. They can also pursue careers in research, academia, and government agencies.

Can students in the Engineering and Physics programs at Oregon State University gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs?

Yes, Oregon State University offers internships and co-op programs for students in the Engineering and Physics programs. These opportunities allow students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study and make valuable connections in their industry. The university has partnerships with many companies, providing students with a wide range of internship and co-op opportunities.