What is the predicted de Broglie wavelength of a bullet traveling at 1060 m/s?

• Thread starter DeadxBunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    De broglie
In summary, the conversation discusses using the de Broglie equation to calculate the wavelength of a bullet traveling at a high speed. The correct answer is a very large number, on the order of 10^34 in the mks system, and the conversation includes a discussion of using the correct units in the calculation.
DeadxBunny

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 39 g travels at 1060 m/s. Although the bullet is clearly too large to be treated as a matter wave, determine what Eq. 38-13 predicts for the de Broglie wavelength of the bullet at that speed?

Homework Equations

de Broglie equation: wavelength = h / p where h is Planck constant and p is the particle's momentum magnitude.

The Attempt at a Solution

p=sqrt(2*m*K) where K=1/2mv^2. I solved K first and got 21,910,200. Then I solved p and got 41,340. Then I solved for wavelength using the de Broglie eq'n and got 1.604 x 10^-38, but this is not the correct answer. Where did I go wrong?? :grumpy: Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh, I'd start by solving for the momentum (3.9 * 10^-2 kg)(1.060 * 10^3 m/s) = 4.134 *10 kg*m/s, then I would recall that p = h/wavelength and solve for the wavelength. It should be a really big number (of the order 10^34 in the mks system).

Good luck.

It's 39 grams, not kilograms.

Daniel.

Yeah, hence it becomes 3.9 times 10^-2 kilograms.

What is the De Broglie equation?

The De Broglie equation is a mathematical formula that relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum. It was first proposed by French physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924.

What is the significance of the De Broglie equation?

The De Broglie equation is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter, meaning that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This was a revolutionary concept in the field of quantum mechanics.

How is the De Broglie equation used?

The De Broglie equation is used to calculate the wavelength of a particle with a known momentum, or vice versa. It is also used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, such as electrons in an atom.

What is the formula for the De Broglie equation?

The De Broglie equation is written as λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity.

Can the De Broglie equation be applied to all particles?

Yes, the De Broglie equation can be applied to all particles, including subatomic particles like electrons, as well as larger particles like atoms and molecules.