Radio Astronomy - power received

In summary, the conversation discusses comparing the power received on the ground from a geostationary satellite with a 1 W transmitter and a transmission footprint of 1000 square km, and determining the total power collected. The question also mentions estimating the total energy collected by a radio telescope assuming a uniform flux density of 1 Jy since 1950. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to calculate the power received from the satellite and mentions making assumptions about the telescope's area and bandwidth.
big man

Homework Statement

Compare this to the power received on the ground from a geostationary satellite with a 1 W transmitter and with a transmission footprint of 1000 square km across (assume uniform power in footprint).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start on this one pretty much. I mean I know that it is transmitting 1 W of power and that the intersection of this beam with the Earth's surface is 1000 square km, but I just don't know how I would go about determining the total power collected. There must be something that I'm missing because from the amount of marks allocated for this question you wouldn't receive 1 W of power. Any hints on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare WHAT with the power received from a 1W transmitter? I think you truncated the question.

Yeah I did truncate the question, but it's not the comparing part that I'm concerned with. I'm just wanting to get a push in the right direction as to how I would calculate the power received by the satellite.

But maybe the first part really does have something to do with it. The first part was this:

Estimate the total energy collected by a radio telescope since 1950 assuming that the sky emits a uniform flux density of 1 Jy.

So for that part I had to assume the area of the telescope and assume the bandwidth that was used too.

Then I think you want to compare that with the energy it would receive from said satellite. The question as stated doesn't give, or give you a way to guess the area of the antenna.

1. What is radio astronomy?

Radio astronomy is a branch of astronomy that involves studying celestial objects and phenomena using radio waves. This includes using specialized equipment and techniques to detect and analyze radio emissions from objects in space.

2. How is the power received in radio astronomy measured?

The power received in radio astronomy is measured using a unit called the Jansky (Jy). It is defined as one billionth of a watt per square meter and is used to measure the strength of radio signals from celestial objects.

3. What is the significance of power received in radio astronomy?

The power received in radio astronomy is significant because it can provide information about the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects. By measuring the power received from different objects, scientists can gain insights into their composition, temperature, and other characteristics.

4. How is the power received affected by distance?

The power received in radio astronomy is affected by distance in a similar way to other types of electromagnetic radiation. As the distance between the source and receiver increases, the power received decreases due to the spreading out of the radio waves over a larger area.

5. What are some examples of celestial objects that emit high levels of power in radio astronomy?

Some examples of celestial objects that emit high levels of power in radio astronomy include pulsars, supernova remnants, quasars, and active galactic nuclei. These objects are known for their strong and detectable radio emissions, making them ideal targets for radio astronomy studies.