Solve for x: Fractional Equations with Different Denominators

• Thread starter light_bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fractional
In summary, the problem is trying to solve for x when the lowest common multiple is not given. The problem is solved when the denominators are the same and the LCM is used.
light_bulb

Homework Statement

(2x + 3¬5) -(7¬3) = (3x -1¬4)

solve for x

The Attempt at a Solution

the lowest common multiple is 60 so:

14(2x + 3¬5) - 20(7¬3) = 15(3x -1¬4)

is

(28x + 42¬70) - (140¬60) = (60x - 15¬60)

60x - 28x = 32x

time to combine like terms,

now comes the confusion, the denominators are different but the book (cd-roms, this wasn't in the book) says nothing about this, does using the LCM multiple cancel that difference out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not using the properties of numbers; you found common denominator of 60, so you could multiply left and right-hand members by 60; and THEN ... combine like-terms.

Start with
[tex]
60(2x + \frac{3}{5}) - 60(\frac{7}{3}) = 60(3x - \frac{1}{4})
[/tex]

I don't know why that other junk is in there with my message, but what I try to say should still be comprehendable.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm afraid i still don't understand, i know i have to combine like terms last,

a) 14(2x + 3¬5) - 20(7¬3) = 15(3x -1¬4)

b) 60(2x + 3¬5) - 60(7¬3) = 60(3x -1¬4)

what I'm trying to say is, should the denominators be the same instead of the same multiple? if B is correct do i touch the denominators? i understand fractions just not how this is done. :frown: explain it to me sloooow like :uhh:

Last edited:
i'm going to give an example of what I'm talking about;

if the LCM is 60 then which one is right:

60(3¬5) = 180 for the numerator

14(3¬5) = 42 for the numerator

now should the denominator by multiplied by 60 (haha don't laugh) or the multiplier? just telling me which one is right will set me one the right course.

light_bulb,

I have not given-up on your question yet; but, do you know how to multiply a fraction by a whole number? Do you know enough arithmetic to try simplifying before performing any low-level multiplication?
... give me a chance and I'll try to explain the first steps in the original question (unless you can clear your difficulty with it first).

sure, multiply the whole number by the denominator. next q, find the the LCM, the multiply the numerator by the the LCM multilpier for each denominator.

a(2¬3)=(5¬9) a=5¬6

i understand you flip the first fraction then multiply it by the reciprocal to get the answer, my misunderstanding comes when i have two constants. eg.

(2x + 3¬5) -(7¬3) = (3x -1¬4)

is x = 3¬28 ?

i'll come back to this

Last edited:
another example of where I'm getting stuck:

(2¬3)x - (5¬6) = (3¬2)

i get to this point:

4x = 14

now it shows that I'm supposed to have:

(4x¬4) = (14¬4)

but how did it get those denominators? they skipped over that part! I'm going to assume that that the multiplier of the first fraction is being used on the reciprocal (4x¬4) <-- where did that denominator come from :grumpy:

Last edited:
pic for clarification. tia

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Light_bulb<
Your notation is not clear to me. Please read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997" on how to format equations.

It seems you are trying to clear the denomiatiors of this:

[tex] \frac 2 3 x - \frac 5 6 = \frac 3 2 [/tex]

multibly both sides by 6

[tex] 6 (\frac 2 3 x - \frac 5 6 ) = 6 ( \frac 3 2 ) [/tex]

distribute

[tex]6 \frac 2 3 x - 6 \frac 5 6 = 9 [/tex]

cancel

[tex] 2 * 2 x - 5 = 9 [/tex]

[tex] 4x - 5 = 9 [/tex]

[tex] 4x = 14 [/tex]
Now finally divide both sides by 4 to isolate x

[tex] \frac {4x} 4 = \frac {14} 4 [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac 7 2 [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
double post.

Last edited:
Integral said:
Now finally divide both sides by 4 to isolate x

[tex] \frac {4x} 4 = \frac {14} 4 [/tex]

thank you! that's what i wanted to know, now i got it. maybe it seems stupid but all i needed to know was why 4 was the denominator, it all makes sense now. will spend some time to learn latex.

What is a fractional equation?

A fractional equation is an equation that contains fractions or rational expressions. These equations involve variables in the numerator and denominator and require solving for the unknown variable.

How do I solve a fractional equation?

To solve a fractional equation, you need to first isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, cross-multiply to eliminate the denominators and solve for the variable. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

Can I cancel out fractions in a fractional equation?

Yes, you can cancel out fractions in a fractional equation by multiplying both sides of the equation by the common denominator. This will eliminate the fractions and make it easier to solve for the variable.

What are extraneous solutions in fractional equations?

Extraneous solutions are solutions that satisfy the equation but do not satisfy the original problem. These solutions often arise when canceling out fractions, so it is important to check your solution in the original equation to avoid these extraneous solutions.

Are there any special rules for solving fractional equations?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving fractional equations. These include multiplying both sides by the common denominator to eliminate fractions, checking for extraneous solutions, and simplifying both sides of the equation before solving.