Combination without repetition in Matlab

In summary, combination without repetition in Matlab refers to arranging a set of elements in a particular order without repeating any of the elements. This can be calculated using the nchoosek function, which takes two arguments to determine the number of combinations. Matlab can handle large datasets for this calculation, but other methods may be more efficient for very large datasets. The main difference between combination with repetition and without repetition in Matlab is the option to repeat elements. Lastly, combination without repetition can be used for both numeric and non-numeric data, but may require converting the data or using other functions for non-numeric data.
haiha
Hi all

I am just new to matlab. This question may seem very easy to most of you. But I can not find it. What is the function of combination of k from set of n: C(n,k) in mlab?. It is available in excel as COMBIN(n,k), so I think there should be one in matlab.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Welcome to Matlab! The function you are looking for is called nchoosek(n,k). It calculates the number of combinations of k elements from a set of n elements without repetitions.

For example, if you have a set of 5 numbers (1,2,3,4,5) and you want to choose 3 of them, the function would be written as nchoosek(5,3) and it would give you the result of 10.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy coding!

1. What is combination without repetition in Matlab?

Combination without repetition in Matlab refers to a mathematical concept where a set of elements is arranged in a particular order, without repeating any of the elements. This is often used in various statistical and data analysis applications to calculate the number of possible combinations that can be formed from a given set of elements.

2. How do I calculate combination without repetition in Matlab?

In Matlab, the nchoosek function can be used to calculate combination without repetition. This function takes two arguments: the total number of elements and the number of elements to be chosen. For example, nchoosek(5, 3) will give the number of combinations possible when choosing 3 elements from a set of 5 elements.

3. Can I use combination without repetition in Matlab for large datasets?

Yes, Matlab can handle large datasets for calculating combination without repetition. However, for very large datasets, it is recommended to use other methods such as using the combnk function or writing a custom algorithm to improve performance.

4. What is the difference between combination with repetition and without repetition in Matlab?

The main difference between combination with repetition and without repetition in Matlab is that in the former, an element can be repeated multiple times in a combination, while in the latter, each element can only be used once in a combination. Therefore, combination without repetition gives fewer combinations than combination with repetition.

5. Can I use combination without repetition in Matlab for non-numeric data?

Yes, combination without repetition in Matlab can be used for both numeric and non-numeric data. However, for non-numeric data, you may need to convert the data into numerical values or use other functions such as perms to calculate the combinations.