Calculating Net Force on an Object Moving in a Plane

• Thread starter crazy_shoes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a problem from a previous chapter in the textbook and it is revisited in the homework. They need a kick start and ask for help from others on the internet. They use position, velocity, acceleration, and force to solve the problem.
crazy_shoes
I'm having terrible difficulty starting this problem, it's one of the chapter excercises in the book and it's revisited in the homework later on. I'm going to give different data, as I would like to actually solve this one myself, I just need a kick start...

Homework Statement

We've got an object moving in a plane, no velocity is stated at all, just that it's moving. It's mass is 6.00 kg and it's coordinates are given by 2 equations, [tex]x = 4t^2 - 1[/tex] and [tex]y = 2t^3 + 6[/tex]. They are asking what the net force acting on this object is at time t = 5.00s.

Homework Equations

I know somewhere in there I'm going to use kinematic equations. I started by trying to find [tex]\Delta X[/tex] and [tex]\Delta Y[/tex]...

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's in a plane, so position, velocity, acceleration, and force are all vectors with x and y components. The position vector is (x,y)=(4t2-1,2t3+6). Can you find the velocity vector? (How is velocity related to position?) Then, can you find the acceleration vector? Then, can you find the force vector?

Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much! I was completely overlooking that.

Glad to help.

If I'm using position to get a velocity vector with the formula [tex]V_x_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex], can I use t = 0 for my [tex]t_i[/tex]?

You should be computing instantaneous velocity, not average velocity.

I assume this is a calculus-based course?

For the formulas I have you still need [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta t[/tex]

[tex]v_x = lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

...and yes, this is calculus based.

I feel like I've missed a lesson or missed something in class.

That limit defines the derivative of x with respect to t. Given x as a simple function of t, say, x=t2, can you compute the derivative dx/dt ?

OH! So it would be 2t then... If the function was in fact [tex]t^2[/tex].

crazy_shoes said:
I'm having terrible difficulty starting this problem, it's one of the chapter excercises in the book and it's revisited in the homework later on. I'm going to give different data, as I would like to actually solve this one myself, I just need a kick start...

Homework Statement

We've got an object moving in a plane, no velocity is stated at all, just that it's moving. It's mass is 6.00 kg and it's coordinates are given by 2 equations, [tex]x = 4t^2 - 1[/tex] and [tex]y = 2t^3 + 6[/tex]. They are asking what the net force acting on this object is at time t = 5.00s.

Homework Equations

I know somewhere in there I'm going to use kinematic equations. I started by trying to find [tex]\Delta X[/tex] and [tex]\Delta Y[/tex]...

You would need two formulas:

1. Newton's second law [itex] \mathbf{F} = m \mathbf{a} [/itex] and
2. definition of components of the acceleration vector

[tex] a_x = d^2x(t)/dt^2 [/tex]
[tex] a_y = d^2y(t)/dt^2 [/tex]

Eugene

So, if my position in the x direction is a function of time, like [tex]x=2t^2[/tex] the derivative of that is [tex]4t[/tex] which should be my velocity in the x direction. Then a second derivative should give me 4 and that should be my acceleration in the x direction. Am I on the right track?

crazy_shoes said:
So, if my position in the x direction is a function of time, like [tex]x=2t^2[/tex] the derivative of that is [tex]4t[/tex] which should be my velocity in the x direction. Then a second derivative should give me 4 and that should be my acceleration in the x direction. Am I on the right track?

Yes, you got it.

Eugene.

Thanks! It's much appreciated. Good thing I have a whole week to finish studying for my test!

1. What is the definition of an object moving in a plane?

An object moving in a plane refers to a situation where an object is traveling in two dimensions, usually along a flat surface such as a table or a map. This movement can be described using coordinates and vectors.

2. What is the difference between an object moving in a plane and an object moving in a straight line?

The main difference is that an object moving in a plane has both a horizontal and vertical component to its movement, while an object moving in a straight line only has a single direction of movement. Additionally, an object moving in a plane may change direction or velocity more frequently compared to an object moving in a straight line.

3. How is the motion of an object in a plane represented graphically?

The motion of an object in a plane can be represented graphically using a position-time graph or a velocity-time graph. In a position-time graph, the position of the object is plotted against time, while in a velocity-time graph, the velocity of the object is plotted against time.

4. What is the importance of understanding the motion of objects in a plane for real-world applications?

Understanding the motion of objects in a plane is crucial for many real-world applications, such as navigation and transportation. It also plays a significant role in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where precise calculations and predictions of object movement are essential.

5. Can an object move in a plane without any external forces acting on it?

No, an object cannot move in a plane without any external forces acting on it. According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, any object moving in a plane must have some external force acting upon it to change its motion.